Saturday, April 3, 2010

Resurrection Rolls

Wow, I can't believe its already time for Easter. I found this recipe a couple of years ago and have been waiting for Princess Runwild to be of the appropriate age to understand the symbolism of these Ressurection Rolls. Princess Runwilder slept in yesterday, so we had the perfect opportunity to try this great Easter recipe. Before we began, I explained all the elements of the recipe and what each represented in the Easter season: the crescent roll represents the tomb where Jesus' body was laid, the marshmallow represents the body of Christ, the butter, cinnamon and sugar represent the oils and herbs used in the preservation of the body during that period of time. So, of course Princess Runwild was all over it. She's all about Easter and knows what this holiday represents. So we carefully laid out the crescents, dipped the marshmallows in butter, rolled in cinnamon and sugar and wrapped up the tomb around the marshamallow.

 I explained to Princess Runwild that the baking time represents the 3 days that Jesus laid in the tomb. Still, this girl is all about this because who doesn't love a marshmallow filled crescent for breakfast, right?!?!?
When we took the Ressurection Rolls out of the oven, we let them cool for just a moment. Then I broke one open and let Princess Runwild see this:

I realized at this point, that Princess Runwild may not have quite been at the right age for this. Despite the fact that she knew the symbolism of the empty "tomb" Princess Runwilder was a bit ticked off that her marshamallow was nowhere to be found. LOL! I should have known better :) I tried to explain that the marshmallow was still there in "Spirit." Nope, she thinks I stole her marshmallow....from all the rolls. haha! Perhaps, we shall try again next year.

Still, I love this recipe. It is a fun and interactive way for kids (perhaps a little older than Princess Runwild :) and adults to get in the kitchen and have a little fun during the Easter season. And of course, you know its good. Come on, its a crescent roll filled with butter, cinnamon-sugar coated marshmallows! You know you can't go wrong with an ingredient list like that! Enjoy!!













Resurrection Rolls
via Allrecipes
Ingredients
1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
8 large marshmallows
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons white sugar
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Separate crescent rolls into individual triangles.
In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
Dip a marshmallow into melted butter, then roll in sugar mixture. Place marshmallow into the center of a dough triangle. Carefully wrap the dough around the marshmallow. Pinch the seams together tightly to seal in marshmallow as it melts. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat.
Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes*
*The original recipe said to bake 15 minutes, but mine were almost too brown at that point. I strongly suggest keeping an eye on them after 10 minutes.

21 comments:

faithy said...

LOL! Your princess is so adorable..at her age, it's only logical that you or someone stole her marshmallow. This is a great idea to educate kids the significance of Easter Day and it's real meaning.

toeandhaysmom said...

Not only are these a good teaching and reflecting time with your kids, they are Soo yummy. I almost ate every stinking one when me & my kiddos did this!!! Happy Easter, He Lives!!

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious!

Bea @ CancunCookies said...

What a beautiful teaching these yummy rolls represent... Love your princess' reaction... I just love being with little ones!!

Angie's Recipes said...

Never heard of these rolls...looks quite interesting and tempting.

♥peachkins♥ said...

These rolls are interesting..

Chef Aimee said...

I love how you used these as a teaching tool! Happy Easter to you and your family!

Dinners and Dreams said...

Beautiful rolls and post. Happy Easter!

Nisrine

Barbara said...

You made me smile this morning...your princess wondered where her marshmallow was!
A really cute idea and a clever way to teach, even though it went over her head this year.

Happy Easter!

grace said...

i saw these for the first time last week and have been planning to make them ever since! it's such a neat concept, and the fact that butter, cinnamon, and sugar are involved doesn't hurt its appeal either. :)

Kim said...

Oh yum! What a fun and kid-friendly recipe for Easter. Your girls sound adorable.

Unknown said...

WOw! What a great recipe. I have never heard of anything like it. I must try next Easter. My children are 15 and 12 but I think they would like the idea of something the represents so much and has so much symbolism.

Krista said...

What a cool idea...and delicious too! I'm definitely making these with my girls next Easter. Thanks for the idea.

Lulu the Baker said...

We have Paula Deen's kids' cookbook, and it has the same recipe. What a great idea to tie it into Easter and the resurrection!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

OMG, these look divine. The marshmallow in the middle is a fantastic idea.

Scarlet of Moms Wear Your Tees said...

These look great!
Happy FF! I am following you now.
Hope you come check out my blog at http://www.momswearyourtees.blogspot.com

Momrempel said...

I made these for Easter too!

Love your blog and I am a new follower from FF! Please stop by mine, A Mom After God's Own Heart and follow back:)

http://therempels4.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! Im your newest follower from Friday Followers!
http://chubbycheeksthinks.blogspot.com/

Bo said...

My mom used to make rolls similar to this on Easter...but hers were not sweet, but the were hollow on the inside.

Heavenly Savings said...

MMMMmmmm!!! I’m another new follower! Feel free to check out my blog as well! http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com
Happy Friday Follow! Hope to Blog with you again soon!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Now that is funny! I can just see the precious look on her face as she opened that empty tomb.

I have to remember this for next Easter... you don't send out reminders do you?