Friday, September 24, 2010

Bad Day Brownies



Has it been a bad day, or week? Or perhaps a bad month? Sometimes life just seems to deal us that hand. Poor Mr. Sweets was having several bad weeks not long ago. He had 3 vehicles break down on him, ran over a fire pit cover, our bedroom ceiling fell in (this was a very long story, and I don’t want to say “I told you so”, but this one could have ended differently :).Wow the streak of bad luck just went on and on and on.  You know it really is true that men and women are wired differently. Mr. Sweets got frustrated about his luck. But, if this had been me that all this was directly happening to, well lets just say I would have easily put on about 20 pounds over those few weeks.

This……



This is the kind of thing I make when I’m having a bad day.


What is it you ask?? It is a Caramello Blondie topped with Cookies and Cream Fudge. No….not fudge icing, its an actual layer of fudge.….on top of a blondie filled with Caramello bars.  That’s right. We'll just call them Bad Day Brownies.

Oh, and please note. I do not share when its been a bad day. Hence the reason, those of you that know me are thinking “I’ve never seen those brownies before…”

No, you haven’t…..

But I will share the recipe. Its sure to be the perfect solution to a bad day/week/month.
I don’t even have to tell you that they're worth the effort….
Enjoy!

Bad Day Brownies

Blonde Brownies:

Ingredients

  • 2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup butter
  •  2 cup packed brown sugar
  •  2 eggs
  •  2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 Caramello bars (king size)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. Measure sifted flour. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift again.  Mix well and set aside.
  3. Melt butter. Add  firmly packed brown sugar and mix well.
  4. Add eggs (beaten) and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well.
  5. Spread half of mixture in 9 x 13 inch pan. Break Caramello bars into scored pieces. Evenly space candy over blondie mixture. Cover with remaining batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes. 
 Cookies & Cream Fudge 
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 12-oz.  package White  chocolate chips
1 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 cup crushed Oreo cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Oreo cookies (for topping, broken but not finely crushed)
Traditional method:
Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to full rolling bail, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat, stir in white chocolate till melted. Add marshmallow creme and vanilla beat till blended. Gently stir in crushed cookies. If not pouring on brownies, pour into greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch squares. 
To assemble:
Make blonde brownies as directed. Let cool. Prepare fudge. Pour over cooled brownies. Let cool until fudge is set. May need to refrigerate for quicker set up. Slice into squares and serve.






11 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my sweet Lord above! I must have these brownies right now because it's been a doozy of a week so far. And yes, I would like the entire pan, please!!! =o)

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

tease-spoon of sugar said...

Those brownies look ridiculously good. They could definitely make me feel better on a bad day. I'll be bookmarking those for sure!

www.sweetcreationsbystephanie.com said...

You always make the best looking recipes..full of chocolate & always when I need it most :)

naomi said...

Hi I am your newest follower from Friday Blog Hop. Come on by and don't forget to follow back :)

Naomi
Na-Miart.blogspot.com

TKW said...

I'll make these and call them "lost hamster brownies" because that was how my week turned out. We did find the little rascal, luckily.

kitchen flavours said...

Delicious looking brownies with an interesting name! Have not make brownies in awhile, guess it's about time!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I have to get me a bad week so I'd have excuse to make these!

Lucie said...

I usually run to the bakery when I'm having a bad day and indulge in an almond pain au chocolat...but these look like a nice switch!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Evil, I tell you evil. Makes me almost wish for a bad day so can make them! ;)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Oh I would gladly have it on the best of my days too - to celebrate!! This looks so rich in flavor, if one can judge a flavor by the looks??

Anonymous said...

What a great name and AWESOME brownie!! You should make a gift pack out of those for friends :)