Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow Ice Cream

Snow. It's such a rarity here in the south that many of us don’t even know what to do with it. We certainly don’t know how to drive in it.  Everything in the south closes down if there is even a mention of a dusting. And the grocery stores become void of all bread and milk.  I have to say I’ve never understood this logic. Why don’t people clear out the Little Debbie snacks? Or the chips? Milk and bread?? Really? That’s just not what I crave when I’m snowed in the house for a week. Bring on the cake!!

So, as rare as the whole southern snow situation usually is, can you believe we woke up Monday to this:

Our second snow in a month! We’re really starting to wonder what in the world is going  on down here!!  There was talk that Hell froze over. ….Many really thought that was almost a definite when Auburn won the BCS Championship ;)  LOL!  Oh, settle down. I’m just kidding…I’m very proud for Auburn….kind of….

Anyways,  the Sinful Southern Sweets family took the opportunity to have a bit of fun time in the snow. (I’ll share pics of that after the recipe.) We also used our snow for something a bit useful. Did you know that you can make ice cream with snow. And boy is it yummy!! My little Runwild Princesses loved it!! And its super easy!! I did think ahead and put a big bowl out when it started snowing, so that I didn’t have to try to pick grass and pinecones (among other things) out of my snow.

You want it to be nice fluffy snow. No ice.

Perfect recipe for the kids to make on their own. After you make it, you can curl up under a  pile of nice fluffy modern duvet covers and indulge in a bit of simplicity!!! Hopefully, this will be the last of the “simplicity” for us Southerners for this winter.

Enjoy!! 

Snow Ice Cream
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

  • 8 cups snow, or shaved ice
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Directions

Place snow or shaved ice into a large bowl. Pour condensed milk over and add vanilla. Mix to combine. Serve immediately in bowls.

Now for our fun snow pics.

Princess Runwild. Dressed in her finest princess sweater:)



My little Princess Runwilder loves the snow!


The Sinful Southern Sweets Family feeding the birds. You know they don't like just bread and milk either!
My demonic little snowman. The birds apparently ate all the green berries...
Three angels making snow angels. Runwilder decided she would stay drier if she just made snow angels on top of my snow angels. Can't fault her logic!!


9 comments:

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

My husband always talks about how his grandfather would make "snowcream"--and he loved it! I've yet to try it...and I'm now living in Philadelphia where we get lots of snow! Maybe one of these days before we move back down south.
It looks like your family had a great time in the snow, but I know you're ready for it to be gone (I know we are!)!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Anything for a party! And snowcream is just the perfect thing. You little snow angels are darlig :-)
Another friday's favorite for sure!

Megan said...

I have heard of snow cream but like you, we never get any snow. :(
It sounds so fun!

♥peachkins♥ said...

that looks yummy! I wish it snows in here...

Lisa said...

Seeing this makes me wish I had some snow here, just enough to make a bowlful of that snow cream.

Anonymous said...

I now know the trick is the bowl outside prior to snow falling, will definitely do this the next time snow is predicted. Because, I too, have the issue with pine needles and blades of grass in the snow. And maybe that's why I've never had snowcream. I know, I was sheltered as a child. This list of "I never" is longer but I won't bore you or embaress myself.
Looks like you had fun in the snow.
ths

Leslie said...

I dont think I will be having snow ice anytime soon here in Tampa FL :(

RamblingTart said...

Oh how fun! What a truly jolly and memorable thing to do as a family. :-)

Anonymous said...

You were surely raised by good southern people. My grandmother made snow ice cream for me and I make it for my boys. LOL! Thanks