Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips for Cinco De Mayo


Cinco De Mayo....translate "The 5th of May." Many believe this is Mexican Independence Day, but in fact it is the day that  a small, outnumbered Mexican army defeated the French during battle in Puebla in 1862. This was a turning point in Mexico's struggle for independence. Apparently, from what I've researched, Mexico doesn't really celebrate Cinco De Mayo very heavily. I read one story about a guy that went down to central Mexico thinking he was in for a grand Cinco celebration. Yet, he was quite surprised only to find quite lackluster celebrations being held . Its told that a Mexican shopkeeper informed him that Cinco De Mayo was "a gringo holiday made to sell Mexican beer to Americans." Wouldn't you know it! Oh well, lets just go with what we know :)
The Cinnamon Chip recipe I'm sharing today was received from my sister in law. Her grandmother makes these every year for Cinco De Mayo. I can remember her talking years ago about how good these were. And she was right!! They are very easy, but really great! These are perfect for snacking on. Though you could also drizzle these with honey and top with ice cream for a sopapilla dessert. Today I'm serving them with fruit salsa.
The fruit salsa was something I had first experienced at a party I attended a month or so ago. Its light and refreshing and makes the deep fried Cinnamon Chips seem just a touch healthier (if that is indeed even possible). Hope you have a wonderful Cinco De Mayo! Enjoy!

Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Fruit Salsa:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Ingredients

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor

Directions

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

Cinnamon Chips








 1 cup oil for frying
8 large flour tortillas
1/2 cup white granular sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  
Heat oil in a medium heavy saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).Slice flour tortillas into triangles. Carefully place tortilla triangles into the hot oil and fry until puffed and lightly golden brown,  1 or 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Place white sugar and cinnamon in a large Ziploc plastic bag. While still slightly warm, drop fried tortilla triangles into the bag and shake to coat. 

Serve the cinnamon chips warm with the chilled fruit salsa.

14 comments:

cookies and cups said...

yay! this is perfect! I am totally making this!

Kim said...

I have always wanted to make a fruit salsa! It's just so darn pretty:D This looks so delicious. I can see myself definitely piggin' out on it:D

Tree said...

This looks AWESOME! My kiddos (and the hubby) would love these!

You should stop by and add your recipes to my Tasty Tuesday meme for this week. :)

Lucie said...

Love the cinnamon chips! This is a great dessert for a party!

Pam said...

I am going to try these! Love those cinnamon chips! The salsa and chips will go great with my margarita today!

Lazaro Cooks said...

Great idea for the cinnamon chips. I also think that some fruit in a salsa to balance the acidity is perfect. Cheers!

Rambling Tart said...

Oh yum! Cinnamon chips sound fantastic! :-)

Julie M. said...

Yummy yummy! I love desserts with fresh fruit. They give me the illusion that I'm eating a healthy dessert. The calories you save from eating the fruit negate the calories from the cinnamon chips, right? :)

Diana's Cocina said...

What a perfect treat! My family would love this.

Missy said...

I can't wait to try this! I might bake my chips (but only because I've been whipping up some non-healthy eats lately!).

By the way...I am just so loving the new layout for your blog. Very impressive! :)

Krista said...

Too funny that you posted this. Just 20 minutes before I read this post, I submitted an entry to the Paula Deen contest for cinnamon chips with cream cheese sauce and strawberry salsa. Great minds think alike! I first had cinnamon chips and fruit salsa at a shower a couple of years ago and I've been hooked since! Yours look wonderful!

Leslie said...

YUM..I make a version of this so very often! The prep work sticks cutting all the fruit!

Tree said...

I'm back! I just wanted you to know that I made these tonight for the family and it was a HUGE hit! Thanks again!

sanjeet said...

Love the cinnamon chips! This is a great dessert for a party!
post free classified ads