Thursday, October 28, 2010

Harvest Bark & Another Freebie Halloween Printable!!


This week seems to have turned out to be a busy one here at the Sinful Southern Sweets household. I always said I thought I might raise unsocial children so I would not be one of those moms that was running all over town every night of the week. But, alas, it appears my oldest Runwild Princess has decided she does not want to be unsocial. So, in turn that means her mother may not be unsocial. So, we're participating in gymnastics, Girl Scouts, falls festivals, trick or treating and ending our week off with Princess Runwilder's Christmas play practice at church. Oh, I almost forgot...forgive me. Her name is "Princess Candy Corn" until after Sunday.

Needless to say, it feels like she's running me all over this week! To top it off, I just realized this morning that I have to make up little treat bags for "Princess Candy Corn's" classmates to send to school tomorrow. Or, atleast I think I'm suppose to send treat bags. I'm not sure when the whole treat bag scene started. But, it almost seems as though its a competition among the parents on whose treat bag the kids like most and which parent can send the most treat bags throughout the year to make the other parents feel like the worst parent ever when their little Princess Runwild comes home and asks why we didn't send treat bags for Columbus Day.  Who are these people!?!?
Last year at Princess Runwild's preschool one mom sent home personalized sand pails filled with candy on "Pool Day." Seriously?!?! Now, Mr. Sweets would probably tell you that I'm just mift about the treat bag situation because I seem to always be outdone in the treat bag area. But, come on people, there needs to be a course or some book of etiquette as to when I'm suppose to send the treat bags! When I ask if treat bags should be sent, I always get a response of "Oh, I don't know. I don't think its necessary. Some do and some don't." Complete evasiveness. Its like there's a Treat Bag Society and they are not accepting new members!
Perhaps, I'll just send a treat bag every other Thursday. But, you know what....then it would probably prompt the Treat Bag Committee to require treat bags ever other day. Of course, no one would tell me because, apparently, I'm not in the Treat Bag Society. I know what you're thinking. And, no,  I am not jealous of the Treat Bag Society. I simply want a schedule for the appropriate sending forth of treat bags. Is that too much to ask?!?!

Ok, so now that I've vented about the treat bags, lets talk about what you could put IN your treat bags. Of course you could do all the plastic Halloween junk and pre-wrapped candy, which I have no problems with at all. In fact, I'll more than likely do some of those myself. But you could also make Harvest Bark for some of your bags. It's very easy and would make a nice treat bag for adults (teachers, co-workers, etc) or kids. As an added treat, you can include a bag topper to make it look extra cute. And, today you are in luck. I took a few minutes to make a few treat bag toppers. Our treat bags will be unique and special. The Treat Bag Society is going to be so ticked off at our cute treat bags!!! If you'd like to download these toppers:

You can download them here and here.

Enjoy!


Harvest Bark
Adapted from Real Simple
Ingredients:
8 oz melted white chocolate or almond bark
1 c. miniature pretzels
1/2 c. candy corn
1/3 c. dried cranberries
Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang. Spread 8 ounces melted white chocolate in the prepared pan and sprinkle with 1 cup miniature pretzels, ½ cup candy corn, and ⅓ cup dried cranberries.
Chill until firm. Remove from the pan and break into pieces.




10 comments:

Holly said...

LOL!!! Too funny-Love the rant;) This bark sounds delish!

Kelsey Apley said...

Out Blog Hopping This Think of Me Thursday!

New GFC follower ~ Love your blog~

~Please come follow me~

http://chicnsavvyreviews.blogspot.com/

tease-spoon of sugar said...

LOL! Loved your post. I can totally relate. We don't do treat bags but we each have a designated snack day. Silly me, I was following the school's guidelines and sending stuff like cut up fruit and vegetables or cheese and crackers. You know, healthy stuff. Then I realized no one else was doing this, they were sending cupcakes and cookies, and I was looking super lame. So last week I sent the chocolate owl cupcakes from your site and I think I've redeemed myself in the children's eyes at least. Ha! I love your treat bags - I'm sure they'll be a hit!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So pretty and delicious! I love those pretty bags.

Cheers,

Rosa

samone said...

Thankyou so much for sharing these!I got chickenpox yesterday so I cant take my kids trick or treating so now Im preparing last minute treats!!!Ive been searching blogs for the last few hours looking for a cute topper.
So from Australia, Thanks x.

Jennifer said...

Love the rant and LOVE this bark!!!! First time on your blog, enjoying it!

Leslie said...

LOL... I am not looking forward to the day in which I turn into "Moms Taxi"!!!
Love the bark!

Krista said...

You are cracking me up! We also had an extra-ordinarily busy Halloween week.

I hear ya on the treat bags! My daughter's backpack is always full of them after a class party. I have decided to refrain. I don't want into the Treat Bag Society. : ) Honestly, I figure if the other parents want to knock themselves out making treat bags, more power to em'. I can appreciate the gesture. But it doesn't seem that my daughter pays any attention to who sent what treat or who didn't send any treat at all. And since she doesn't seem to care, I'd guess her classmates don't either. I'm just sayin'... in case you need a reason to take the treat bag pressure off of yourself. lol.

All of that said, there was NOTHING like your wonderful harvest bark in any of my kindergartner's treat bags. I know, because if there was, I would have swiped it for myself. What a great combo!

Chef Bee said...

Very festive bark. I bet it was a real hit.

Plan B

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations said...

What a lovely blog! I just discovered it this morning and will be back often. I know I'll get plenty of great ideas here. I love everything about your site.

Wonderful.