Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cutie Cupid Cupcakes

So, originally the school where Princess Runwild attends said they would not be having a Valentine's Day party this year. Well, I don't know about you, but for me Valentine parties at school were just always such fun. You know getting to decorate your own little valentine box/bag and then everyone getting to go around and hand out their cute little valentine cards. Which speaking of said cute little valentines, once upon a time they came with their own cute little envelopes. No more. I suppose its not environmentally correct. Whatever....Personally, I liked the little envelopes. And you could recycle them if you felt morally obligated to do so.

Last year when I was buying them for the first time for Runwild's preschool party, I went to 4 different stores trying to find Valentine's with envelopes. I did not succeed. Apparently, you can only get the ones that fold and seal with a sticker. Blahh.

On a happier note, I thought they no longer made the Scratch N Sniff Valentines, but I did actually find them this year. Unfortunately, Runwild wanted Rapunzel Valentines. But, its ok......I've secretly got the scratch n sniff ones hidden in my night stand. After they go to bed, I'm going to scratch them and sniff them until they are only paper scented ;) Or until Princess Runwilder discovers them and takes them away from me....She's such a bully.

Oh, yes, back to my point, the school was not going to have a Valentine Party, so I promised the girls I would throw them their own little Valentine party at home. Of course, now the school has decided they WILL have a party, but you know that doesn't relinquish me from my prior commitment of a party. No way! And that's fine, I'm always up for having parties with my Runwilders for any occassion. At  MY parties their is always one rule: There must be cake in some form at all parties in the Sinful Southern Sweets household.


So these little Cupid Cupcakes are what I have made for our Valentine Party tomorrow night to meet the 'Cake Criteria Rule.' They will be served along side Cupid's Crunch, heart shaped pizza, heart shaped jello and heart shaped cookies. And any thing else I can get my heart shaped cookie cutter to slice through. You know, if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right!

These cupcakes were not at all difficult. I used a food grade marker for the eyes and mouth (I think you can even buy these at Hobby Lobby).
You could also use a toothpick dipped in food coloring. The peach icing can be achieved using a tiny bit of pink and a touch of orange food coloring mixed into white frosting. I did make one cupid with wings, but I'm just not sure about him. The wings just seem too much to me. Maybe a smaller marshmallow would work.

Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!

Enjoy!

Cutie Cupid Cupcakes
adapted from here

Ingredients

12 Cupcakes, baked from a mix or your favorite recipe
1 can white frosting tinted Pink- or peach (white mixed with a bit of pink and orange)
12 Large marshmallow
Thin pretzel sticks/toothpick
1/2 c.Crisped rice cereal
Food Grade Marker/Decorators' gel
Candy heart

  • Frost a cupcake with pink- or peach-tinted frosting. Try to make a smooth surface with back of spatula.

  • For wings, use kitchen shears to cut a large marshmallow in half vertically, then snip each half widthwise a few times for a feathery look. Press a thin pretzel stick against the sticky side of each marshmallow half, then stick the pretzels into the cupcake.

  • Press a handful of crisped rice cereal along the top of the cupcake for Cupid's curly locks, then add a decorators' gel or food grade marker for mouth and eyes. Finally, set a candy heart in place and pipe on frosting fingers, if you like.

  • 13 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    these have to be the cutest cupcakes i've ever seen!!!

    Renata said...

    How cute is that!!! They have their own passionate expressions! The little hands holding the heart...Very cute, cute, cute!! You're an artist!!

    peachkins said...

    so cute!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    tease-spoon of sugar said...

    Adorable. Love them.

    Kim said...

    I'm really disappointed with the schools and their lack of focus on parties. What's wrong with them nowadays? I'm glad they decided to do one though. Hope you have lots of fun with your family tonight. These cupcakes are adorable!

    Have fun wearing out your heart cookie cutters. LOL!

    Mr. Bill said...

    Very Clever!!

    Leslie said...

    Those are the cutest things ever! How very creative

    claire said...

    oh my gosh! these are too cute! i bet princess runwild LOVED them!

    such a good mom... I agree- CAKE SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT A PARTY! :)

    theUngourmet said...

    I always looked forward to Valentine parties at school. Your cupcakes make me smile. :) So cute!

    pigpigscorner said...

    OH WOW! So cute!!!

    Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

    Precious~
    Me thinks she could also be holding a little 4 leaf clover.
    Another friday's favorite for sure :-)

    Lot-O-Choc said...

    Awww these are so so sweet! I havent seen anything like them before, I would feel slightly cruel eating them ahah!

    What a Dish! said...

    Those are SO cute!!! What a cool idea, and great job on them!