Saturday, March 27, 2010

Orange Tian-March Daring Bakers Challenge

This was my first month as a Daring Baker. For those that are not familiar with the Daring Bakers, you can read more about it here. Basically, the Daring Bakers are a network of food bloggers that are given a recipe each month by one of the members. Each month there is a different "challenge." And challenging the recipes certainly are! At first I thought, "Oh, I am soooo in over my head...." Then I finally took a breath and decided to divide up the workload of the recipe. I just prepared each part when I had time and then assembled when I was ready to take pictures (and serve!). Apparently, I'm feeling a bit tarty here lately, since that is the form I chose for my tian. This could be made in any large pan with removable sides (springform pan, etc). The other option is to make individual tians if you have several round cookie cutters for layering the ingredients. Both options make a stunning display.
The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris. One of most interesting parts of the Daring Baker's challenges is that nearly all the elements are made in your own kitchen. The Orange Tian had several of elements. Here's what was involved:
 -Pate Sablee-a french pastry dough
- Marmalade
- Caramel
-Whipped Cream
-Segmented Oranges
I have to admit when I saw that I would be making my own marmalade, for a moment (ok, several moments!), I considered forgoing the challenge, but I certainly was not going to let a little marmalade get me down.There's just something mysterious and haunting about jelly making. I suppose I just always think of the canning part. All that hot glass, risking explosion at any moment with hot jam and glass being catapulted onto my kitchen ceiling. Then I thought, "Hey, no one said we had to can the marmalade. We just have to make it!" Now, I'm so glad I didn't give up. The marmalade was actually quite easy. The entire dessert was actually very easy to make. It simply contained several elements. In the end, I'm so glad that I joined the Daring Bakers. This was an excellent challenge. I would certainly serve this at any gathering. It is perfectly fresh for springtime. . I hope you will try this wonderful creation. It is simply divine!! I look forward to sharing my Daring Baker's challenges with you each month. Enjoy!








Daring Baker's Orange Tian
March 2010


Pâte Sablée
Recipe courtesy of  Martha Stewart
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
With a standing mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add flour and salt, and beat until just combined and crumbly (do not overmix). Shape dough into a 9-inch round disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 days), or freeze for up to 1 month.

Orange Segments:
For this step you will need 8 oranges.
Cut the oranges into segments over a shallow bowl and make sure to keep the juice. Add the segments to the bowl with the juice.


Stabilized whipped cream
via Tamsin Cakes
Ingredients U.S. Metric Imperial Instructions for Ingredients
heavy whipping cream 1 cup; 7 oz; 200 grams
3 tablespoons of hot water
1 tsp Gelatine
1 tablespoon of confectioner's sugar
orange marmalade (see recipe above) 1 tablespoon
In a small bowl, add the gelatine and hot water, stirring well until the gelatine dissolves. Let the gelatine cool to room temperature while you make the whipped cream. Combine the cream in a chilled mixing bowl. Whip the cream using a hand mixer on low speed until the cream starts to thicken for about one minute. Add the confectioner sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high. Whip the cream until the beaters leave visible (but not lasting) trails in the cream, then add the cooled gelatine slowly while beating continuously. Continue whipping until the cream is light and fluffy and forms soft peaks. Transfer the whipped cream to a bowl and fold in the orange marmalade.
[Tip: Use an ice cold bowl to make the whipped cream in. You can do this by putting your mixing bowl, cream and beater in the fridge for 20 minutes prior to whipping the cream.


Orange Caramel Sauce via Epicurious
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh blood orange juice (I used regular orange juice)
1/2 teaspoon grated blood orange peel (or regular orange peel)
Preparation
Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring until deep amber color, occasionally brushing down pan sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 8 minutes.
Carefully add orange juice and orange peel (mixture will bubble vigorously). Stir over low heat until smooth and any caramel bits dissolve. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)

Sunny Orange Marmalade via Southern Living:
Ingredients
12 oranges (about 6 pounds)
2 lemons
4 cups water
9 cups sugar
Preparation
Peel oranges, and cut rind into thin strips. Chop pulp, discarding seeds. Cut lemons into thin slices, discarding seeds.
Combine orange rind, chopped pulp, lemon slices, and 4 cups water in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
Combine fruit mixture and sugar in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours or until a candy thermometer registers 215°.
Pack hot marmalade into hot sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.

Assembly of the Orange Tian
For making this recipe in one large dish such as a tart pan:
Bake the Pate Sablee in the tart pan. Let cool completely. Cover the cooled Pate Sablee with Orange Marmalade. Cover with stabilized whipped cream. Arrange the orange segments over the whipped cream. Freeze for atleast 20 minutes to help whipped cream set. Drizzle with caramel. Slice and enjoy!

21 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I bet it tastes as good as it looks! Love the caramel!

Snooky doodle said...

really interesting recipe. looks fresh and delicious!

Virginia Taylors said...

Excellent! Wow, job well done and daring adventure. You are a hero in the kitchen in my book. Can't wait to hear more daring feats.

Krissy @ ArtsyMom said...

That looks SOOO delicious1

Following from Friday Follow!! Better late than never, right? :) Come visit us and follow us as well! :) We have a Friday Follow giveaway going on until Sunday.

http://theartsymom.tk

Unknown said...

Welcome to Daring Bakers and congratulations on your first challenge. I'm glad you didn't give up. You have a great tian there! I always find that at first I either don't think I like the challenge or it may be too hard but I go ahead anyway and have always learnt heaps and more often than not love the recipe.

megan said...

wow that looks so impressive! and difficult! way to go :)

Kim said...

I'm a total sucker for orange desserts! This looks wonderful and those orange make it healthy, right;D

~ Savvy Coupon Mommy said...

Hi :)
Following From the Friday Follow...Sorry a little late....the list is sooo long!
You can follow me at http://savvycouponmommy.blogspot.com

grace said...

this is your debut as a daring baker? OUTSTANDING! you fit right in. :)

Trissa said...

Congratulations on your first daring bakers! Looking forward to more beautiful DB creations!

Paris Pastry said...

Wow you started the Daring Bakers! How daring! I've seen a couple of tians now, but psss let's keep it between us, yours looks the best!

Mary Bergfeld said...

You've done a wonderful job with the challenge. Your tian looks and sounds wonderful. Kudos. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Oh my goodness! You daring bakers are amazing. I think I'll just admire yours from here and hope that one day I'll get to try one. It looks amaaaaazing!

Lovlie said...

Good job for your first DB! Nice tian! I really like your blog! It's fun! You're sure going on my blogroll!

Chef Aimee said...

Oh wow another amazing tian! Fantastic! :)

veterankindergartenteacher said...

That looks fantastic! All I can say is wow!

Tracy said...

Welcome to the Daring Bakers! Love your blog, and your tian is gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Orange must be on the brain right now. That looks heavenly and too pretty to cut.

Diana's Cocina said...

This looks wonderful!!!

grace said...

i'm glad you forged onward--your final result looks grand!

Lulu the Baker said...

Your orange tian turned out beautifully! Mine was delicious, but the photos were taken at night, so it looks awful. Great job!