Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stroopwafels


Stroopwafels are my friend. 
These dutch based delicacies were first concocted sometime around the mid 1700's. Its said that an unknown baker took leftover crumbs and formed them into cookies and filled them with a caramel syrup. I have read throughout the internet that Stroopwafels are sold by the dutch on the streets as snacks, and each Dutchman consumes 20 stroopwafels per year......First I want to say this.... Everywhere I read that statement about the quantity consumed, it was written as "OMG, the dutch consume 20 per year!!" Uhhh, well....Hmmmm. Glad I'm American. Because, I may very well have hit my yearly dutch limit by 3 o'clock today. And seriously, is 20 really that many of anything to consume in a whole year?!?! Ok, I agree, perhaps 20 cakes would be a touch gluttonous. But these are cookies people....Moving on..Perhaps I'm just embarrassed at my stroopwafel consumption and I'm lashing out at the reasonable consumers of the world.

My love-affair obsession  fondness for these dutch treats began several years ago. My in-laws had traveled to Holland on vacation. They brought these flat, disk-like treats back for all of us. And thus began the addiction.. If you've never heard of them, they are very thin butter- laden cookies filled with a special caramel filling. (Butter-laden meaning a whole pound of butter in the following recipe).They are typically served at room temperature or slightly warmed. I have read its great to let them rest over the top of a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea. The steam slightly warms the caramel.
All I can say about this particular recipe is...... thank God they are time consuming. If I could make these as quickly as desired, the doorframes to my house would no longer be wide enough to accomodate me. No, no, hang on. Don't let this scare you away. Despite the fact that they are a bit time consuming, you will forever be grateful that you have broadened your culinary horizons. Here's the catch. You must have a pizzelle iron. The pizzelle iron is vital to making the cookie part of the recipe. Don't worry, its worth it. And you can always make waffle cones with it in the summer:) Just in case you're still a bit worried, I've got a step by step tutorial on the cooking/filling part of this recipe. I assure you, stroopwafels will be your friend too! Enjoy!


 
Dutch Stroopwafels
recipe courtesy of Diana's Desserts
Ingredients:

For The Wafles:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
For The Filling:
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons dark corn syrup
Instructions:
Preheat pizzelle iron.
To Make Wafels:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
Cut one (1) cup of the butter into the flour. Mix in the sugar, cinnamon, eggs and yeast mixture. Mix well and set aside to rise for 30 to 60 minutes. Roll dough into about 24 small balls, place each ball into the preheated pizzelle iron and bake for about 30 seconds, one at a time. The unbaked dough will look something like this (Ok so it doesn't really have that neon glow unless you've got lighting issues, but you get the idea.  Lets just call it angelic dough :)

Then the baked dough:


To Make Filling:
In a saucepan boil the brown sugar, the remaing one cup of the butter, cinnamon, and dark corn syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage (234-240 degrees F 112 -115 degrees C). It will look something like this:


Oh, doesn't that look sinful.....after enjoying a little time alone with the caramel, move along to the assembly.
And, yes, you do want to assemble. As good as the caramel is alone, just think of the finished product!

To Assemble:
Cut each wafel into two (2) thin wafels and spread with filling. Repeat this process until all the filling is used. Note: You will want to bake a wafel and assemble immediately after removing from the pizzelle iron. Hold the hot wafel in a towl to slice.


Put the two sides together and you've got your long awaited Stroopwafel.
Let cool completely on a wire rack 
Yes, I know they look like a pain, but they really are worth it.
Now, shall we  hot glue the entire pound of butter used in the recipe to our right thigh or our left?
LOL! Hope you try them when you have some extra time!

35 comments:

Kathleen said...

Seriously! OMGosh! 20 aint nothing honey! I thing 20 in one sitting might be a wee much, but come on! In one year! And caramel filling, come on......

Kim said...

I could definitely eat 20 of these in the course of a day or two! We Americans are serious about our cookies;D

They look terrific!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Hi just stopping in to say Hi from Friday Follow!

Happy Friday!

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Sonya said...

Those are sooo Lekker..as they would say here in the netherlands! Those are my favorite dutch treat..Everyone eats them by the bucket loads here and they are super cheap!

Lucie said...

I adooore stroopwafels! So nice to see a homemade recipe!

Trissa said...

I love these cookies - I never knew what they were called or how you made them! Thanks for sharing.

grace said...

what a fun name for a FABULOUS treat! i love how thin the little suckers are, and the filling is perfect.

cookies and cups said...

Well, I am now THIS close to going out and getting me a pizzelle iron.
This sound soo great!

Barbara said...

Oh my. That photo of caramel filling. It stopped me cold. Thank heaven I will probably never make these...but I'm copying the recipe just in case. You could start a stroopwafel mail order maybe?

Writing Without Periods! said...

Wow. these look great and so much fun to make.
Mary

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really good and I have a pizzelle iron, darn it! I'm calorie counting at the moment so it will be a while before I make these, but rest assured they will be made. Have a great day...Mary

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am part Italian so we always have a pizzelle for cookies but these are well no pun intended...sinful!

Holly said...

Oooh! These look so yummy! I love that you did step by step picture:)

Together We Save said...

Oh my goodness!! These look amazing!!

veterankindergartenteacher said...

Oh my....you gave such clear directions. I am going to have to try to make these. They sound so good!!!!!!!!

Reeni said...

When I first saw these I was thinking of pizzelles! They sound very similar and look really yummy!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I say we make two batches and hot glue the butter to both thighs!

You find the yummiest looking recipes to share!!

Unknown said...

Looks Wonderful! Following from FF. Pop over to my blogs when you can! Love your design & the Southern part!!

Food Blog: www.mamabirdnest.com
Diet Blog: www.katbirddiests.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These look positively sinful!! ;)
Following you from Follow Friday!

dustinnikki said...

Hi, Happy Follow Friday! I'm your newest follower!

http://dustinnikki.blogspot.com/

Nicole

Diana's Cocina said...

These look goooood. I must try!

Oh My Baby said...

stopping by from friday follow

Tatum said...

I am now folloing you from FF & hope you have a great Friday..I love your blog btw..
http://tatumsreviews.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth Downie said...

Oh my gosh, these look AMAZING! My taste buds thank you but my hips don't - lol. Thanks for the comment on my blog - I totally agree with what you wrote! :)

rene said...

Oh my those look seriously amazing!! I'm from Follow Friday, first time here, love your site. I'll subscribe if you can promise I won't gain 10 pounds!!! jk

So Who Is The Crayon Wrangler? said...

Ohmyheavensyouaregoingtomakemesofatandhappy!

Love your blog, love your food, love your pictures! I found you through FF and I am so happy I did, although my bathroom scale may have a different opinion of you within a month.

Michelle Faith said...

Hey, Happy Friday follow! i'm a New follower. I'll take 20 of them cookies to go please!

Jen said...

I've never heard of them, but I can't wait to attempt to make 'em! Yumm!

Happy Follow Friday!

Following You From...
www.reviewretreat.com

I hope you'll stop by! I look forward to blogging with you.

Have a great weekend!

ThinkFeminist said...

Hi, I am your latest follower from a late FF. I am so glad i found your blog, its so informative. I hope to read more of it.

You can also visit us at www.safehomehappymom.com for safe product reviews and information

theUngourmet said...

I knew I was craving something sweet and wonderful today and now I've figured it out! These look crazy good! I must get one of those waffle pans.

Unknown said...

I love love LOVE these things! I first discovered them in England and then was overjoyed when I found out Trader Joe's sells them. Yeah, I don't let myself buy them too often because the same thing with the door would happen to me! I don't think it's safe for me to buy a pizelle iron! Thanks for sharing!

Hanaâ said...

No waaaaay... guess what I just had prior to visting ur blog? Stroopwafels. Not homemade though. I always bring a bunch of bags back when I visit the old home country. Thanks for sharing the recipe. What brand pizzelle iron do you have?

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Hanaa: I believe the iron I use is by Rival. Hope you try them sometime

sanjeet said...

They look terrific!
home based data entry

Kathy said...

Sadly, I do have a pizelle iron. Now I'm going to HAVE to make them!
Kathy