Anyways, this recipe was wonderful. The pastry dough was out of this world! Just make sure you don't overwork it. Many a delicate pastry have met a tough demise due to being overworked. Just mix it until it comes together. No need to work your frustrations out on this fine recipe :) You will end up with a flaky, rich dough that is worthy of your finest breakfast companions. Enjoy!
Braided Strawberry Danish
adapted from Luna Cafe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk vigorously to distribute the baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or the tips of your fingers, cut the cream cheese and butter into the flour mixture.
- Quickly and gently blend in the milk.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead VERY LIGHTLY for 4-5 strokes.
NOTE This is the step at which you can ruin the coffeecake. If you overwork the dough, the pastry will be tough. Just gather the dough together and don’t worry about making it smooth. It will still look a little rough. That’s perfect.
- On waxed paper, roll the dough to an 8- by 12-inch rectangle.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly greased baking sheet and remove the waxed paper.
- Measure and mark the dough lengthwise into thirds.
- Spread preserves down the middle third of the dough, keeping it about ½ inch from the mark on both sides.
- Make 2¾-inch slight diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals on each the long sides. Do not cut into the center jam-filled area.
- Fold strips, first one from one side and then one from the other side in a rotating fashion, over the filling. The coffeecake will now resemble a braid.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 12-15 minutes, until the dough is cooked through and the top is lightly browned.
- In a small glass measuring cup with a pouring spout, combine the sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle over the top of the coffeecake.
- If desired, sprinkle on the toasted sliced almonds while the icing is still wet.
*Luna Cafe has a wonderful step by step tutorial on cutting and folding the strips to form the braid. You can see it here.