Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Stuffed French Toast


I had the fabulous opportunity again this month to be part of the test kitchen for Cooking.com. They asked me to tryout a Pig Tail Food Flipper. If you've never heard of these, they're grilling tools.  They barely pierce the exterior of your food. So, you're not losing all the great juices from your meat.

Well, since I lean a bit more on the sweet side of life, I decided to stray from the flipper's most common use, on the grill. So, what did I make? I decided to make Strawberry French Toast and try to use the Pigtail Flipper.Honestly, I really wasn't sure it would work. Oh, but it did!! Here it is in action:

That little pigtail flipper would make a perfect Father's Day gift. In fact it would be great for any cook, whether they enjoy cooking inside or out. This particular set includes 2 flippers, one small, one large. I'm afraid my set may come up missing when my husband finds them:) I believe most men would do that whole manly grunt thing over these utensils.
Now, on to the french toast. Well...what can I say.....its sinful. I made this recipe up, in an effort to use up some ingredients I had on hand. Here's what you need:
For the filling:

I realize strawberry ice cream topping may not be a typical ingredient to be discovered in stuffed french toast, but it should be!
And for the french toast:

The recipe has a nice blend of creaminess from the cheeses and the perfect touch of sweetness from the ice cream topping. Cooked up in traditional french-toast style, its perfect anytime of day. My little Runwild Princesses loved it. Of course, how could they not, especially when topped off with an extra gallon of strawberry ice cream topping. Oh, relax. It's got fruit in it....I could have used chocolate:) Enjoy!
P.S. Be on the lookout for a giveaway in the next day or so!!













Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
8oz Ricotta Cheese
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 jar strawberry ice cream topping
2 Tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
1 loaf sour dough bread, sliced thick
3 eggs
½ cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon sugar mixture
½ stick butter
fresh strawberries for topping (optional)

Directions:
Combine ricotta and cream cheese until smooth. Add ¼ cup ice cream topping. Add 2 Tbsp powdered sugar(if desired). Set aside. Mix together in a small bowl, the cinnamon/sugar, milk, and eggs. Set aside. Spread each slice of bread with about 3-4 Tbsp of the strawberry cheese mixture. Press two slices together (strawberry filling facing each other)to form a sandwich. Dip the entire sandwich, quickly, into the milk and egg mixture. Heat half the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Carefully, add the French toast. Cook until lightly brown on each side, about 3-5 minutes. Remove to plate and let cool slightly. If desired, you may top the French toast with more strawberry ice cream topping and powdered sugar.

20 comments:

DaniBrava said...

omgosh this looks so delicious and indulgent!!!

Reshmi said...

hey a delightful dish...

Paris Pastry said...

Oh-My-God!! This looks like heaven on a plate! I love French toast and strawberries, but I never thought to add them together.

Trissa said...

I thought I had seen it all - but this one - amazing... I love filling.

Julie M. said...

Wowza. You sure know how to tempt a girl. That, my friend, is one of the best breakfast, dessert, heck, anytime of the day or night dishes I have seen you post up here!

Oh, and you're right about those tongs; my husband would go ga ga for them.

Brianna! said...

YUM!
anything with Strawberries is PERFECT in my book

xoxo
bB

cookies and cups said...

This looks like the perfect Sunday breakfast!
Those flippers are great too :)

Lucy's Soup Can said...

A person should not stop in here on an empty stomach!

Stopping by from "Spotlight Yourself" Wednesday. Am your newest follower.

http://www.lucyssoupcan.com

Elle said...

Never made stuffed French toast, but this recipe might change that...it looks awesome and decadent!

Cocina Savant said...

just came across your blog and i'm loving it!!! the french toast looks delicious, i'll have to try this very soon, like in the morning!

Reeni said...

This looks insanely delicious! The stuffing is divine! And that pig tail flipper is a great idea.

Diane Schmidt said...

Looks delicious, and I love those pig tail food flippers they would come in so handy for loads of cooking!

Tickled Red said...

That may just have made my day :)What an exquisite plate of french toast.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

I saw that pigtail flipper on another blog a long time ago and had also never heard of it before.

This stuffed french toast is decadent! I'm a nut for strawberries.

Love your post on southern funerals and funeral foods. It is as big an event as any other down here for sure. Love that book too!! ;)

Thanks for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! Happy Wednesday!!

Kim said...

That pig tail flipper is the cutest thing!

Your strawberry stuffed french toast is calling out to me! I'd love a big slice of that right now.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'll have to give your recipe a try. I love French toast and it sounds so good with the strawberry stuffing. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

This french toast looks and sounds so delicious! Beautifully sinful! Perfect!

SJ said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This looks so good. Following now!

Anonymous said...

I loved french toast and strawberries. What a perfect combination!

Diana's Cocina said...

Strawberries and french toast a perfect combo. ;)