Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July & Blueberry Cobbler


4th of July...A perfect mid-summer holiday to celebrate our many freedoms, and certainly a day to recognize the armed forces that serve (or have served) to defend those freedoms.  Have a great time celebrating our independence today!!

 So, of course I could not leave you without a sweet ending for your 4th of July meal. Lots of people love the traditional flag cake for their 4th dessert. You know the beautiful sheet cake with the beautifully arranged berries meant to depict an American flag. Oh, I love them, I just don't love the patience required to arrange all those beautiful berries. Besides, I just have a favorite 4th dessert that I can't let go of. I believe I have mentioned before that many years ago when Mr. Sweets and I first  started dating, I quickly fell in love with his mother's cooking. Well, one of the first 4th of July's I remember spending with his family, GiGi (Mr. Sweet's mother) made Blueberry Cobbler. I have tried plenty of cobblers in my life. They are quite abundant here in the south. Yet, I had never had a cobbler this good. Honestly, cobbler wasn't even one of my favorites until I'd had GiGi's cobbler. And, I have never found a better cobbler since. I even had to turn down one of my oldest and dearest friends yesterday, when she offered me her blueberry cobbler recipe. I had to tell her I had already found the best!( But, don't fret my southern sister offered me another recipe that I will share with you on another day and boy does it sound good!!)
I'm sure when you look at this recipe and its simplicity you might wonder why its so amazing. I can't answer that exactly. Is it the fact that there is nearly equal ratios of fruit to sugar in the recipe??Hmm, maybe... Is it that the ingredients bake in a full stick of butter???Probably...Honestly, there is nothing uncommon about the recipe (except the no stir method-I've never seen this before). Its just simple, comforting and the perfect ending to your 4th of July celebration. So, go celebrate today. Make this cobbler, grab a huge bowl topped with vanilla ice cream (the ice cream is not optional:) and sit back and enjoy it while watching a few fireworks tonight! Enjoy!

GiGi's Blueberry Cobbler

2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2c-1cup white sugar (depending on sweetness of blueberries)
1cup self rising flour
1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1 stick butter
vanilla ice cream

In a bowl, combine the blueberries and 1/2 (or up to 1 cup) sugar. Set aside to allow blueberries to macerate (let them create natural juices). Place butter in a 9x9 square baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the pan with the butter in the oven while its preheating until  the butter is fully melted.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, milk and 1 c. sugar until blended. When butter is melted, remove from oven. Pour batter over butter, but DO NOT STIR. Spoon blueberries over batter, but again, DO NOT STIR. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min-1 hour, or until browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

14 comments:

Tickled Red said...

Oh My! That is beautiful! Go GiGi...I hope that you have a wonderful 4th of July with your family :)

Pam said...

Way to go! That cobbler looks incredibly delicious and perfect for the holiday! Happy 4th to you and yours!

Julie said...

What a beautiful dessert! I love blueberries just about any way they're served up! Have a happy 4th of July :)

cookies and cups said...

I honestly can't wait to try this! I am not a huge cobbler fan either, but this might be the one!

Bo said...

Looks delicious! Have a happy 4th!

Dana Fallentine said...

Anything topped with ice-cream is on my favorite dessert list!

toeandhaysmom said...

This one i actually read and sounds easy to make. NO stiring!!!! easy. I may actually try this out. t

tease-spoon of sugar said...

That sounds so amazing and I definitely want to try it. I've never done a cobbler and I'm completely thrown by the instructions...no stirring?! At all?? So you must invert it after baking, right? Otherwise the blueberries would be on top, right?

Diana's Cocina said...

What a perfect treat for the holiday. Sounds delish.

Julie M. said...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmm. I love a good bowl of cobbler; any fruit will do. This looks delicious!

Reshmi said...

belated 4th july...marvelous gigi..

Velva said...

Cheers to Gigi for making a fabulous blueberry cobbler. I love cobblers and almost any fruit dessert. We just picke several pounds of fresh organic blueberries and this recipe is screaming my name.

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Oh yeah! The beauty about cobblers is that they are easy and I like that! Gigi's looks so good! Thanks for the share!

Vanessa said...

I just made this for Valentine's Day and it was a HUGE hit! It's so easy and delicious. Thanks so much for sharing XO ~Vanessa :)