Friday, July 23, 2010

Southern as Scarlet O~ MoonPie Chess Bars


So, how do you make Chess Bars more Southern? (as if we even imagined that being possible!)...Well, simple. You add a healthy dose of MoonPies to the mix. I'd certainly have to say that's about as southern as Miss Scarlett O'Hara. And, in the words of Miss O'Hara "As God as my witness," you will want to make these sooner rather than later.
If you're not from the South you may be wondering what this MoonPie is that I'm referring to. Basically, its soft graham crackers layered with marshmallow fluff and dipped in a flavored coating. MoonPies were born in the early 1900's when a Chattanooga bakery owner began trying to cater to all the local coal miners. Well, the coal miners had already discovered that graham crackers dipped in marshmallow fluff (recently being exported from New England)  made an excellent/filling treat, albeit a bit messy to carry around in the mines. So the bakery owner created the multi-layered "pies" as a way for the coal miners to easily pack in their lunches, but made them quite large since sometimes the miners did not get to stop for lunch. They've continued to be a favorite in the south ever since.
Though the exact origins of the Chess Bars are unknown, like most uncommonly good treats, we just try to claim them here in the south as our own:) No one seems to balk at this idea....especially when you start combining them with southern staples such as MoonPies! I will warn you about these particular chess bars......they are incredibly addictive. Usually I can make a dessert, try it and freeze the rest.Well, with this one, I just started eating it straight out of the freezer. Even the subzero temperatures could not stop me. So, save yourself some time at the gym and make sure you make this when you have a group to share it with! Enjoy!


 








Southern as Scarlet O'~
MoonPie Chess Squares
  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1-lb box cofectioner’s sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 Double Decker MoonPies (flavor of your choice), coarsley chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together cake mix, butter and 1 egg. Add pecans and mix well. Press into bottom of 9″ x 13″ pan. Sprinkle chopped MoonPies over crust.
Beat cream cheese, vanilla and confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Pour over crust. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set.

39 comments:

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Well, I'm not from the South and I've never had a moon pie or a chess bar - but they sound amazing! lol Here from NFF - have a great weekend! :)

Edwards Girls said...

Visiting you and now following from Fun Follow Friday :)
Hope you'll follow me too @ http://whatifedmyfamilytoday.blogspot.com/

Jeanette :)

Brianna! said...

My Mr. LOVES Chess Squares.
I'm thinking He REALLY might like the moonpies added:)

xoxo
bB
Hope you have a wonderful weekend

cookies and cups said...

Awesome! I haven't ever heard of chess bars, but they sure sound good!

Heather S-G said...

We have Moon Pies up here in Yankee-ville, too ;) And yeah, they are super addicting! Love that you've added them to chess bars...completely sinful!! =)

AKing said...

I LOVE Moon Pies! I participate in a 5K every year - the Fat Boy 5K - where they serve Moon Pies and doughnuts at the finish line.

Checking in from Follow Me Chickadee - have a great weekend!

PACountryMouse said...

Great blog! Love the layout. Love the desserts. Love the name. LOVE IT! Stopping by from Friendship Friday!

http://followingherfootsteps.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

Chess pie and moon pies - definitely as southern as Scarlet O. Sounds like a great recipe to share with others:)

Kari @ Mommy's Fabulous Finds said...

Hi! I am your newest follower from friendship friday! look forward to trying this recipe. hope you have a great day!

Kari @
http://shining2save.blogspot.com

Kari @ Mommy's Fabulous Finds said...

Hi! I am your newest follower from friendship friday! look forward to trying this recipe. hope you have a great day!

Kari @
http://shining2save.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I am from the Deep South (Mississippi) and I love Moon Pies. I'll have to give that recipe a try.

Following you now from Social Parade Follow on Fridays

Charisse said...

Oh My! I'm not a southern girl but I could definitely dig in to a plate of these any time of day!

Bo said...

These looks really good...but you gotta was it down with a RC Cola.

Kate Spears said...

good grief woman.....my blood sugar is spiking just from looking at these! as a swooning southern belle myself, i have eaten my share (and then some) of chess bars in my time, but adding my beloved moon pie??? you are a genius! love it so much! happy friday and have a wonderful weekend! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

New follower from Social Parade. I hope you can stop in and see me at www.hootiebee.blogspot.com

Susie Buetow said...

Hiya! Stopping in from the Follow Friday blog hops!!! Your recipes make me hungry!!! Come link up a recipe in my recipe tab!!! Great way to get new followers!

Stop in!
Susieqtpies Scraps of Life
http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Hi,

I'm your newest follower from Chickadee Friday :)

Those look so delicious!

-Victoria
http://www.adventuresinmommyhood.net/2010/07/friday-blog-hops.html

chow and chatter said...

oh this is cool adore moon pies he he

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I can't remember the last time I had a moon pie and an RC cola.
This is stepping it up a bit!
Yummylicious.

Mrs. Ma'am said...

This sounds so delicious. And I am loving the Momma's Peach Ice Cream, too!

I am now your newest follower. Oh, and I am from the south. Louisiana to be exact, but living in England.

Check me out at http://www.clementlifestyle.blogspot.com

Brad said...

Yum, I like your idea of using the Moon Pies. Thanks for the tasty recipe.

rite said...

Thanks for participating today!!!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!Now following and cant wait to try some recipes!!!
xoxoxo
Lauren
http://22yroldhousewife.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Look de-lish!

Blog hopping. Newest follower.

Have a great weekend.

Lisa

Lucie said...

Never had a moon pie, but now I really wish I could find them in France!!!

Paula@One Mom's Corner of the World said...

I would love to make this! I'm visiting from Social Parade Follow. I already follow you.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What fun! Two great new recipes to try. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary

Kathy said...

MoonPies - a blast from my past! Every self respecting southerner has had a few of those marshmallowy treats. Gosh, I remember my mom always had them ready to hand out and my dad loved them. I'm going back to Tennessee to visit my folks next week so maybe I'll treat myself! Thanks so much for the visit to Mimi's Garden this week.
xoxo...Kathy
xoxo...Kathy

Val said...

Be still my heart!!! These look divine.

Julie M. said...

You've done it again. These look incredibly amazing! I wish I could grab one right this minute. You have one lucky family to have all these delicious treats around!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

One of many deliciously sinful desserts I see here at your blog!

grace said...

what a great idea! i love moon pies--it would be a struggle for me to part with them to make this delicious concoction. :)

theUngourmet said...

Can you believe I've never eaten a Moon Pie?! These bars look amazing!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Omgosh I LOVE you! This is a whole new bar idea I've never made. I'm making these for this weeks cookie. Thank-you!!!!!

L

Cookie Sleuth said...

I'm glad to have found your blog! This is my first visit. I can't wait to try some of your recipes!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this sound really delicious!

Unknown said...

In Australia I have never heard of moon pies or chess bars! I love seeing and reading about something new! Technology is a wonderful thing! Btw the peach icecream post is brilliant. I almost felt as if I was there with you in summer. This summer I will be trying your peach icecream!

Tickled Red said...

This post brought back so many memories for me :) My PapPaw bought me a Moon Pie every time we visited at the general store.

I love your recipe darlin'.

Ginger Jones said...

This is..
I mean what a...
Oh My Lawdy, Lawdy...
I can't quit stutterin'!
These look so heavenly (I actually think the skies have parted and angels are singin') Where have you been with this recipe all of my life?!? Bless you, bless you, bless you... I'm making these tomorrow.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

How delicious can you get!