Monday, July 12, 2010

Momma's Peach Ice Cream


It dawned on me a few days ago that our (almost take your breath away) humid southern summer has officially arrived in full force. And it made me think back to what I remember summers being like as a kid.  I remember staying outside all day long. Usually, until the street light came on. I remember that when the beautiful peachy- pink mimosa trees had bloomed out, it was officially summer. I remember kudzu covering nearly everything in existence (though, kudzu probably exists all year, I only seem to think of seeing it in the summer).  I remember lightening bugs in mason jars... and Momma’s zucchini bread (this was a summer memory for nearly every kid in our neighborhood!). I remember sticking pine straw in those little holes out in the backyard and “fishing” for whatever those little bugs were that lived in the hole (though I remember the pine straw wiggling, I don’t ever remember “catching” one of those bugs). I remember climbing the magnolia tree in our front yard and picking fruit in the neighbor's yard. But most of all, what brings back memories of my southern childhood summers most is Momma’s homemade peach ice cream. I can remember eating it late in the day. I can almost envision it dripping down my legs. It seems as a child, I could end up being a sticky mess from most anything I consumed. But, this ice cream was worth it. It was fresh and sweet. It was almost as sweet as my memories. I need to start making sure my girls experience some of my favorite childhood summer activities. Perhaps we will start with Momma’s Peach Ice Cream. Enjoy!















Momma's Peach Ice Cream
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 cans condensed milk (not evaporated milk!)
1 1/2 qts  milk
1/4 tsp salt
6 fresh peaches, must be very ripe
1/4 cup white sugar

Prepare the peaches:
Peel peaches. Dice into cubes. Combine with 1/4 c. sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and let simmer until the peaches are soft. Set aside. Let cool completely.

Prepare the ice cream mixture:
In a medium pan, combine the remaining ingredients, except for the milk and condensed milk. Stirring continuously, over medium low heat, simmer until hot, but not boiling. Let cool completely to room temperature. (I even put mine in the refrigerator to cool it quicker) When cool, add condensed milk. Pour into ice cream maker. Add milk up to fill line. Freeze according to maufacturers directions. during the last five minutes in the ice cream maker, add the peaches. When finished freezing in ice cream maker (it will still be very soft-usually 25 minutes), transfer to a container and let freeze in your freezer. The ice cream usually does not become hard until it has been frozen in the freezer for several hours.

28 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Love this peach ice cream without egg yolks...love sweetened condensed milk.

Brianna! said...

oh this sounds SO yummy'I love LOVE LOVE
PEaches
I never see peach Ice cream
chick-fil-a has a seasonal peach milkshake
that is SO yummy
but Im positive it cant beat homemade!!

xoxo
bB

Pam said...

Great memories about summer! The ice cream looks perfectly delicious! I have bookmarked this and will be making it as soon as the fresh peaches are really good. My hubby will love it and me too!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

it is definitely summer here. Mimosas, kudzu, mosquitos and all. Peach ice cream just tops it off.

Diana's Cocina said...

You had me at 2 cans condensed milk, LOL! Nothing beats home-made ice cream. And I remember the pink mimosa trees bloomed out as a kid, what wonderful memories.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

LOL! I agree, you just can't go wrong with condensed milk!!

RamblingTart said...

What a fabulous childhood memory!! :-) I love all the little details you remember and that peach ice cream is just wonderful. :-)

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing some of your sweet memories! I agree with Diana, 2 cans of condensed milk - I'm in!! Peaches and berries are some of my very, very favorite summer treats.

Avril said...

You had me at the peaches peeled and diced up sprinkled with sugar....then I got even closer to my computer screen when you listed condensed milk as an ingredient in the ice cream batter....delish! Thank you for such a refreshing and yummy looking recipe!

Julie M. said...

Yum! The boys have been hounding me to go peach picking and now I have to perfect excuse to appease them. Thanks for sharing your story.

Bo said...

I had totally forgotten about trying to catch those bugs in the hole with pine straw...I never caught one either...We called those bugs something...but I can't remember...now thats bothering me...Thanks for bringing back some good summer memories.

TKW said...

I'm definitely going to be making this. Nothing screams summer to me as much as peach ice cream. Delish!

Tickled Red said...

I have never made ice cream. I really need to do that soon and I am starting w your Momma's Peach. Simply gorgeous!

Krista said...

Gorgeous childhood memories with an unbelieveable peach ice cream recipe! This post definitely reminded me of our summers living in Georgia.

Reshmi said...

i must say.........truely divine n gorgeous...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is the perfect way to beat the heat!!Your mom was a wise woman:D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That peach ice cream looks divine! Perfect.

Cheers,

Rosa

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Great memories! I so love homemade peach ice cream but for me it was my Grandma. It was one of her specialties and she actually had the old fashioned hand cranked ice cream bucket!

I can't recall what part of the south you are in but I can say for sure that south Mississippi has been BLAZING!!

www.sweetcreationsbystephanie.com said...

I think I'll be making this tomorrow. My mouth is watering reading your blog!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Momma certainly knew how to make Ice Cream!! that is one great recipe! You never see condensed milk in ice cream recipes anymore.....
and what great memories you have, thank you for sharing them with us!

Cristie said...

I have a friend that absolutely loves peach ice cream. This is going in the file to make for her birthday on the 27th of July. Love your blog, it's darling :)

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

ooooh! It's time to make fresh peach ice cream alright! Here in South Carolina the peach stands are just overflowing with them. thanks for the recipe, we just finished our strawberry homemade ice cream, so this is NEXT! Thanks, Roz

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oh peach ice cream is such a good flavour, i bet it was so refreshing but creamy at teh same time yum!

Framed said...

Peach Ice Cream! Mmmmmmmmmm. It is just the epitome of SUMMER. Thanks for sharing!

Elle said...

I have lots of the same kind of memories of southern summers...in addition I remember the asphalt on the streets turning soft like tar when the heat had gone on for days and playing kick-the-can in the backyard after dark with the lightening bugs glowing one and off. We canned peaches, so I felt like I was sticky for days with peach juice. This peach ice cream sounds just right...and a perfect memory for your daughter to have of summer.

Yasmeen said...

Love the fresh peaches,perfect for the season :D

Heather said...

I have great memories of peach ice cream. Growing up in Georgia it was our summertime favorite. Love this recipe because it has no egg yolks. Can't wait to try it!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Its the season for peaches where I live and just bought some yesterday.
Shall turn some into ice-cream for sure.

Your post brought Dolly Parton's "I remember ......" to mind. :)