Of course, they have become popular for good reason. These bars are layered with all sorts of fabulous ingredients. They start out with a base made primarily of toasted coconut, graham cracker crumbs, and cocoa. Honestly, we could have just stopped right there and been perfectly content. (Oh, but I will go on just to humor you.) Then, you layer on what is referred to as the “custard.” But let me tell you it is not like any custard I have ever tried. It is more like the most wonderful white icing….Ever. You get my drift. So then, moving on, there is the topping. The topping is simply chocolate melted with butter. Two of my very favorite baking ingredients:) Very simple ingredients. Layered into a delectable dessert. Oh, and I just happened to read at Nanaimo Info.com this quote “Everyone knows that these bars have zero calories during Bathtub Week and at Christmas Time!”
Hmmm, very interesting. I’m not sure when Bathtub Week is exactly, but I vote that we just proclaim this week Bathtub Week. Just to be safe…..
So, as you can see, these indulgent, triple layered confections are in need of being made. Today if at all possible:) Plus, you can make them without creating extra heat from baking. You know, since they’re "no bake bars" and all. Always a plus when the heat index is still hovering around 100.
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/4 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder or instant vanilla pudding
3 tablespoons milk
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
- Mix 1/2 cup butter or margarine, white sugar, cocoa, egg and vanilla in a heavy sauce pan or double boiler. Stir over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Combine graham crackers, coconut and add to the melted mixture. Mix well and press into buttered 9 inch square cake pan.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla custard powder and milk. Beat until creamy and spread over base.
- Refrigerate till hardened.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon butter and smooth over custard icing. Refrigerate. When firm, cut into square bars.