Wednesday, August 25, 2010

White Chocolate Chip Lemon Bars


Summer seems to be quickly dwindling away. Well, according to the calendar. The heat index still indicates there's several months of warm weather left for our area. I have several summer sweets I've had tucked away to blog about, but I better hurry or I'll have to wait for next summer!
Lemons are such a summery fruit to me. So bright and sunshiney in yellow. And, Lemon Bars are certainly one of those traditional summer time desserts that everyone I know simply adores. Its hard not to love them... with their sweet/tart coolness just waiting to be devoured..
A while back, I had a lady request that I make her a lemon bar, but with white chocolate chips included in the mix. I thought this request was a bit unusual, but it turns out, it was an excellent idea! The white chocolate is not too sweet (I know....what's too sweet?!?) and it perfectly balances out the slight bitterness of the lemon. Plus, it hardly takes any time to throw these great lemon bars together. They'd be great for a Labor Day cookout! Enjoy!



















White Chocolate Chip Lemon Bars
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
Powdered sugar
  1. Heat oven to 350°F (175°). Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
  2. Combine 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared baking pan.
  4. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; sprinkle white chocolate chips over top.
  5. Stir together eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel, remaining 1/4 cup flour and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in medium bowl; carefully pour over chips and crust.
  6. Bake 15 minutes or until set. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack; sift powdered sugar over top. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

14 comments:

Kel said...

Yum! I've never thought to add white chocolate chips to my lemon bars. I will definitely be trying this next time.

cookies and cups said...

Interesting combo! Sounds like a winner :)

TKW said...

I love anything lemon! I know people might frown at me, but I also have a soft spot for white chocolate...I imagine I'd like these treats!

Oddity: word recognition just popped up and it's "sconedd"--is that how bad foodies are punished? They get publicly flogged with stale scones?

toeandhaysmom said...

Do you have any of these hidden at the house??? If you do, i want to run by and pick up some! txt me if you have any, they sound and look delish.
t

Lucy's Soup Can said...

I love lemony desserts and these sound divine!

Kathy said...

These look delicious! Sounds like a great combination!

Pam said...

Pass the plate please! They look delicious with the white chocolate and I will be giving it a try.

RamblingTart said...

I love your addition of white chocolate chips to these bars!! :-) How creamy and delicious against the tart lemon. :-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You had me at lemon!
~another friday's favorite :-)

Tickled Red said...

Yum! Lemon in a very close second to my peanut butter/chocolate addiction. These are going into my file box for sure :)

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of the white chips.

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of the white chips.

Unknown said...

Hi! Following from Tagalong Tuesday...would love to have you follow back!
http://www.funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

Katie Sexton said...

So many goodies!! I am a new follower and I would love a follow back!!
http://www.mommykatie.com