Saturday, January 9, 2010

German Chocolate Brownies


Not for the faint of heart!! These are rich and fudgy. Here in the south we just chuckle when we hear the phrase "too chocolatey" or "too rich." We know, those little words are just a myth. There is no such thing!
I will never forget working in my sister- in- laws gourmet gift basket shop one Christmas season. My mother- in- law was working on the sales floor. That lady could sell turnips to a turnip farmer. She just has that type of personality.  Anyways. This young girl came in looking to get her boyfriend's mom a gift. My mother in law was directing her to all the gourmet treats. The girl picked up a box of truffles and asked "Are these too chocolately?" I thought I would fall over. My mother- in- law, without missing a beat, said "Honey, there is no such thing as too chocolatey!" She assured her they were great and her boyfriend's mother would love them. I have since had a deep respect of my mother in law. I knew at that very moment, my husband came from good people :) Enjoy!

German Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
1 cup sour cream
1 (16 ounce) container coconut pecan frosting
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x9 inch baking pan.
2.Mix the brownie mix according to box directions, omitting 1/2 of the oil asked for. Stir in the sour cream and coconut pecan frosting. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3.Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until done. Be careful not to overbake! They will harden and be impossible to eat! About 5 minutes before brownies are done, remove from oven, and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top along with chopped pecans. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate chips over the top to frost the brownies.

3 comments:

grace said...

these would be so much better than the ol' german chocolate cake--so dense! and you're right, i've never thought to myself, "this is too rich!"...that's just nonsense. :)

Lucie said...

Even though I'm not from the South, "too much" chocolate has never meant a thing to me! These brownies look very yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Just found your blog through FF. OMG, I love all these pics and they ae making me hungry. Got your button on my blog and will definitely be back!