Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pecan Pralines

First, let me say, Pecan Pralines are not my friend today. OK, glad to get that out of the way. Candy making is fickle. And in the end, these turned out fine, but we did not end our relationship with a happy face.

I decided to use up some evaporated milk. Nevemind the fact that it was a brand new can. It was the best excuse I could come up with...So, I decided to use that milk on pralines. It was a clear, humid free, cold day. Not a cloud in the sky.  So I put everything in the saucepan to bring to a boil. One child wanted to watch Barney, the other needed her plastic polly pocket clothes put on ( side note: I hate polly pockets). I lost count of what I had measured. Decided I left out a half cup of brown sugar. So I added another half cup. Finished cooking the pralines, and they were terribly grainy (from sugar). Scraped it all back in the pan, added more evaporated milk, boiled to correct temperature. They would never set up. They were like caramel. Apparently, I did not forget the sugar the first time. So I scraped it back into the pan, added more sugar and boiled again. Finally, it all came together. It set up perfectly. I was pleased with the final outcome, but I will not call them my friend. Still, try this recipe sans children. It is a fabulous southern pecan praline recipe. But, you must give it your full attention. They are like an old woman...they are real sweet and nutty, but they want your complete attention! Enjoy!

Pecan Pralines


Ingredients:

2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup evaporated milk

2 cups pecan pieces and halves

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut in pieces

Preparation:

Combine sugar, milk, and water in a 2-quart saucepan; heat to boiling stirring constantly. Cook until mixture reaches soft ball consistency (235°).Remove from heat; stir in pecans, vanilla, and butter. Immediately drop by tablespoons onto wax paper.

2 comments:

Christi said...

HI...the pralines sound great, but am I missing the recipe. I could not find it anywhere?
Christi

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

So sorry about that Christi! It is up now. Thanks!!