Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mini Cherry Cheesecakes



Sometimes I forget what life is all about. I get frustrated because something broke or didn't bake up as perfectly as I would have hoped. And then I see something like this sitting in my kitchen:


Then I remember the important things in life. My husband and I both agree that our girls are what life is all about. Its so nice to have a "serious adult day" broken up by sillyness, laughter, and the occassional colander seat/bowl head. Though, I have to say she did not think it was all that funny when she realized she couldn't get her little hiney out of the colander. She certainly didn't for one minute like the fact that I thought it was hilarious!

Todays recipe is a fun, light-hearted recipe. I think we need more fun and light-heartedness in the world! My silly little princesses and my sweet husband just loved this dessert. I love this recipe too. Let me tell you why. I love this recipe for its ease and its class. I love how the bold cherries stand out against the white cheesecake (And scream "Roll Tide". Oh, wait.... I'm sorry, I'm suppose to be converted. They don't say that at all :)
I love that it could be served as a dessert at a casual hotdog dinner or a fancy beef wellington dinner. And last, but not least. I love that it bakes in little cupcake liners and I do not have to clean the cheesecake off the pan after it finishes baking. Yes.. that's probably my favorite part:)  Enjoy!




Mini Cherry Cheesecakes
Recipe courtesty of Paula Deen
Ingredients

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
2 eggs
12 vanilla wafers
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling or blueberry pie filling (or whatever else suits your fancy)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1)Place a paper cupcake liner in each cup (12 total) of muffin pan. (I ended up with several more)
2)Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla, beating well.
  Add eggs, one at   a time, beating well after each.
3)Place a vanilla wafer FLAT side down, in each muffin cup. Spoon cream cheese mixture over wafers   filling each to about 1/4 inch from top of paper.
4)Bake for 20 minutes.
5)Allow tarts to cool completely before filling. When you remove the tarts from the oven, they will be puffed up, but as they cool, the center will sink, creating the perfect well to fill with a couple of spoonfuls of your favorite filling.
6)Chill thoroughly before serving.

2 comments:

grace said...

you're so right. i often have to stop and say to myself "is this really worth getting so worked up about?" more often than not, the answer is no.
meanwhile, these little cups of heaven are sensational. the fact that they're small doesn't mean i'll eat any less than the equivalent of a quarter of a full cake. :)

Chef Aimee said...

I love Paula Deen's desserts and yours look perfect to me! As for your little one in these photos, she looks just perfect, too!