Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reminiscing...And Old Fashion Chocolate Pound Cake


When we were kids, didn't it seem like it would be an eternity until we reached adulthood? Of course, I don't even know if I considered what a grown up really did. I just wanted to be able to go where I wanted and do what I wanted without having to be back home at 10:00 pm  (I know, I had strict parents. Thank goodness:) And, though I still do not feel like an adult, apparently at some point adulthood stumbled upon me. Well, we think it did. My husband atleast agrees that I do not act like a little frat boy anymore. Perhaps, it happened when I had children? No matter, when finally considered an adult and able to go and do what I wanted, well , isn't it a funny thing that I didn't care to do all those things I "thought" I wanted to do. LOL! I guess we're just too tired for all that "fun" once we get old:)

Today's recipe is a another family recipe. This was one of my great aunt Bessie's recipe. My mother insists that my Aunt Bess was one of the finest cooks that has ever existed. Aunt Bess lived next door to one of my other aunts (Aunt Ruby). When I'd go stay over there, we always "stayed" with Aunt Ruby, but we would go visit with Aunt Bessie. I guess because Aunt Ruby didn't ever have children and she would let us do anything we wanted:) When the day would start to heat up, we would walk across the yard to Aunt Bess's  house. There was always something cooking. I can remember sitting outside and playing with an old timey egg beater in the pea- graveled area in front of her back porch. I would have never thought of using an old egg beater to play with the gravel, but it was great fun. Those ladies make up memories that I will carry with me for a lifetime. Thank goodness I am able to look back at fond memories of innocence when I wanted nothing more than to be an adult.  To think what I'd give now for a few moments with an old egg beater in a gravel driveway.

Now that I am done longing for my childhood... the recipe. This is a very mild chocolate pound cake. Old fashioned chocolate pound cakes did not use a lot of melted chocolate (which makes a dark chocolate cake). Most likely because the cocoa was much less expensive. The cocoa gives a nice light chocolate flavor and a beautiful color. Almost the color of creamed coffee. Make this cake today and you have permission to reminisce about your childhood as well. Enjoy!



Aunt Bessie's Old Fashioned Chocolate Pound Cake
2 sticks butter or oleo
½ cup shortening
3 cups flour (all purpose)
⅓ cup cocoa
3 cups sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
5 eggs
1¼ cup sweet milk
1 TBSP vanilla

Cream shortening, butter(or oleo) and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Sift together flour with cocoa, salt and baking powder. Add a bit of flour, alternating with milk until all milk and flour are added. Add vanilla. Bake in a tube pan. 325 degrees for 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

16 comments:

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Thanks for visiting my site! You have some awesome looking desserts!

Myers's Blog said...

Your Mom is right! Aunt Bess was one of the best cooks around along with Aunt Roo and your Granny. I am definitely going to try this because I LOVE chocolate!

Chef Aimee said...

Your Aunt Bess knew how to make on perfect chocolate cake! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, just discovered your blog! Fantastic! Love this choc pound cake and the rainbow cupcakes and...everything!YUM!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Aunt Bessie's cake looks wonderful! Thanks for dropping by my blog. Nice to meet you..

Diane Schmidt said...

Chocolate pound cake sounds yummy!

Sonya said...

Oh yum..I love your story!! I think I became an adult the moment my first son was born. Everything kicked in after that. However I don't feel 35..35 seems so old to me..lol

Pound cake is so good and it's something I have never made myself! Ok so what is sweet milk and can I use my 2% in place of it?

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Haha! Sonya, sweet milk is a term we use here in the south to refer to regular milk(as opposed to buttermilk). The language can be somewhat confusing here below the Mason Dixon line. Like the quote from the movie Sweet Home Alabama "I swear people should have to have a passport to come down here!" LOL! So, yes, 2% milk is just fine.

grace said...

oh heavens. as if pound cake weren't sinful enough, you go and toss in mounds of chocolate? i do believe i'm in love with this massive, dense cake of yours--bravo. :)

chow and chatter said...

this looks so so good, great recipe Rebecca

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

What a great recipe!

Julie said...

I've never had chocolate pound cake. Looks wonderful.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

It's been so long since I had chocolate pound cake.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cookinglady said...

I'm a new Friday Follower Wow this cake just really looks good.

Thanks for sharing have a good weekend

Diana's Cocina said...

This pound cake is speaking to me.

Anonymous said...

Looks delish!