Thursday, January 14, 2010

Granny's Sour Cream Pound Cake


I remember from about the time I was a teenager on up until I got married, every time I went by my Granny's house, she almost always had a cake made. Most of time they were pound cakes. Man....could that lady make a pound cake. I was always a fat kid, so most of the time I was on one diet or another and would always turn down the offer of a slice of these dense concoctions. Now I wish I had appeased her and given her the pleasure of loving with food. I understand what she was trying to do now, because I love others with food too. I bake to show I care. (That should be on a Hallmark card....or maybe it already is :)

I'm starting to think my Granny was playing a little joke on whoever decided to take possession of the recipe cards. Lots of her recipe cards are missing vital information. This recipe was one of them. And when I say vital, I mean like baking temperature and time. There will be a full list of ingredients. Full set of directions. You will get the recipe ready to go into the oven. And  then....nada. The recipe stops. I told  my mother I was going to sit down and talk to her about that when I met her at the Pearly Gates. But..if I know the female minds of my family..she probably had a much better reason. If I had to guess she probably did it in case something ever happened to her and my Grandaddy decided to re-marry. Well, you see where this is going. New wife tries to cook recipes from Granny's files, but burns them all because she has no cooking temp and time. New wife will never be a cook like "Ms. Evelyn"LOL!

This Sour Cream Pound Cake was a recipe my mother had requested when I started looking through the family recipes. The crust is flaky and the interior is dense and moist. Seriously, how could this not be good?!? It has 3 sticks of butter, 6 eggs, and a small barrel of sugar. Oh, I'm just kidding, it only has half a barrel of sugar :) Enjoy!

Granny's Sour Cream Pound Cake
1½ cups butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream
3 cups all purpose flour (measured after sifting)
½ tsp baking soda
⅛ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp lemon extract
Cream butter until it looks like whipped cream. Slowly dribble sugar a TBSP at a time while beating. Add eggs beating one at a time. Sift flour, soda and salt 3 times. Add flour mixture ½ cup at a time to the butter. Add the sour cream, vanilla, almond and lemon. Do not overmix. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan or tube cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes*.

*Though this was not included in Granny's recipe, I will oblige you with the full directions including baking temperature and time:)

7 comments:

Writing Without Periods! said...

Oh, my this looks good. I love food blogs and beautiful pics.
Mary

toeandhaysmom said...

Can I get four slices to go????LOL!

cookies and cups said...

Love this story...I recently gained possession of my Grandma's recipe boxes...I actually have a post dedicated to it written up for this weekend or next week.
Also, those pralines look amazing!!
Thanks for stopping by my site!

Barbara said...

The old recipes are always the best! The problem is most, if they are written down at all, are not complete. I don't think it was deliberate, just that our grandmothers did everything out of their heads. It would be easy enough to guess baking time and temps and she probably didn't even think of writing it down. I had to get many recipes from my mother by standing there while she made them and writing them down. Other I had to do by memory..not always accurate...so I had to do a lot of testing.

The Cooking Photographer said...

I am saving this one, and the banana pudding below. You were so lucky to have a cooking grandmother! Even if you were good and turned the cake down. :)

Laura

southerninspiration said...

So you must have figured it out by now, huh? That looks amazing! Thanks so much for coming by my blog and saying hello. I am pleased to find your blog and look forward to reading more. Thanks for the scrumptious recipes!

Take care,
Suzanne

Bea said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love yours!! Great recipes + nice memories... I'll come back often... take care, Bea