Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!!...Last Minute Valentine Cookies


As I was passing through some new blogs I found very early this morning, I came across a blog titled Necessary Quotation Marks. The post for today was this:

This was a quote by Judy Garland. This, to me, is the quintessential quote for all romantics. If you know what this quote means when it says that "It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul".....friend, we shall count ourselves among the few that have found true love. It is a rare treasure...
 
 
OK, ok, off of cupid's soapbox. Yes, I realize I am a food blogger...not a life blogger or a romance blogger....but  my coffee has not yet kicked in and I lost my train of thought..Ok, yes.. I found it again....Valentine's Cookies. Yes, I realize my last post was also about Valentine's cookies, but I had to make Princess Runwild's preschool teacher a little valentine gift and cookies travel well in her little monkey backpack..cupcakes do not, just in case you didn't know :)
 
This cookie is very easy. You could use the recipe I'm posting, but you could also use refrigerated cookie dough if you need a quick valentine's gift. (Shame on you if you forgot :) No one will care, its really the decoration on this one that makes it so special. For that matter, you could run down to the local bakery and pick up a few cookies to use and really save some time (this would be option c for those that don't realize they needed a valentine's gift until this afternoon. Bad Valentine, bad, bad valentine :(  In a nutshell, you melt some chocolate, confectionery coating (almond bark) or those little colored candy making disks. Dip the edge or up to half of the cookie into the chocolate and immediately sprinkle with sprinkles, coconut, chopped nuts, or anything that will stick to the melted chocolate....Voile, instant valentine goody!! Be extra sweet to your Valentine today!! Enjoy!

 







Dipped Valentine Cookies
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Chocolate, almond bark or candy coating (melted)
Sprinkles or topping of choice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Cream together the shortening and the sugar. Stir in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir to combine. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. If desired sprinkle tops of cookies with white sugar before baking. Cool completely. Dip up to half of cookie into chocolate and immediately sprinkle with topping of your choice. Let cool completely to let chocolate set.


“We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly”
~Sam Keen

15 comments:

ml said...

These look really good! I have to go to Target, so I am thinking I may make some today. Thank you for your sweet comments btw. It is nice to be able to sort of keep up with you on your gorgeous food blog.
And have I mentioned that your daughters are absolutely beautiful?

Lucie said...

Anything with sprinkles makes my day! I love the quote at the bottom of your post--so true yet so many people fail to understand it!

Stacie said...

Those cookies look adorable dipped with the sprinkles. I am just about ready to make a Valentines Day cake here. Happy Valentine's Day!

Angie's Recipes said...

Beautiful cookies! Happy Valentine's Day!

CinnamonAndSass said...

I love both those quotes, especially the last one! Somehow all the "flaws" my honey has are the things that endear him to me the most!

-Katie

fimere said...

ils ont l'air délicieux et joyeuse st Valentin
bonne soirée

Diane Schmidt said...

They look SWEET :) Happy Valentine's Day!

Tony said...

Those valentine's day cookies look delicious. That quote is a good one. Heartwarming without being cheezy.

Chef Aimee said...

Oh these are so sweet and perfect! Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Anonymous said...

Those look scrumptious. Thanks for participating in Friday Follow. I am catching up to the links. Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/

grace said...

excellent quotes and excellent cookies.
incidentally, if that's as bad as you get before your coffee kicks in, you don't have anything to worry about. me? i'm an absolute wreck--i'm not even able to form coherent sentences. :)

Kim said...

I loved the quote by Judy Garland! These look too cute! I especially love the ones dunked in the pink coating. I don't think I'll ever outgrow pink:D

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Wow! I love Judy Garland! Who knew she could also be so poetically deep? LOVE it!! Thanks for the quote, and the thoughtful words you wrote yourself!

I'm new to your blog, I can tell I'll be back! Those cookies look AMAZING! I'm your newest follower!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Thanks for all the kind compliments!
Grace, you're too funny!!
Kim, I don't think I will ever outgrow pink either..aren't you glad we don't have too :)
Glad to see all you new followers!! Hope you stop by often!

Prior said...

Well, everything looks delicious But those brownies! Yum!! Lezlee