Sunday, February 28, 2010

Snickers Peanut Butter Perfection.....also known as Utter Butters

Did you know that about 30% of all southerners are obese? Yes, its true, and tomorrow after you've all had a chance to make this recipe, I'm afraid the percentage will have risen about 10 percent. Hey, I'm not saying I'm proud of contributing to the problem. I'm just stating facts here. Wait, I'll add a disclaimer: It is highly  recommended that you go spend some time at the gym after consuming a dozen of these cookies. There. I feel better. I've done my part to help society..Oh, and, I advise you to write a sweet love letter to your gym equipment of choice. Here's mine:

Dear Mr Treadmill,
I know we have become very close lately. I apologize if I am moving too fast and pushing all your buttons. I feel as if I am running all over you at times. It appears from the latest recipe, things will be moving at an even faster pace next week. Until tomorrow....

Now that the guilt trip is over....the ultimate cause of our dieting demise: Snickers Peanut Butter Perfection.
This is a soft gooey peanut butter cookie filled with a fluffy peanut butter frosting and the edges are rolled in Snickers. Now, for the perfect butter trifecta you could have rolled the edges in peanut butter cups. I think you could have rolled them in manure and they would have been good :)

These cookies were originally called Utter Butters. Hang on, let  me explain. In my small southern town, there was a little restaurant/catering business. (Yes, yes, I know many of you are surprised, since you weren't even sure we had indoor plumbing down here). They had a cookie very similar to this, sans the Snickers. They called them Utter Butters. Now, I realize the name sounds like a veterinarian ointment for cows. I can't really explain why they named them this. I've contemplated it over and over. All I can come up with is that they were flavored like Nutter Butters, but they didn't want to have infringement issues so they dropped the "N." That's the best I could conclude. Anyways. The business closed a few years ago, so I decided I needed a replication of these Utter Butters. I think they are pretty close.   Give these a try and you too will be having daily rendezvous with Mr. Treadmill. Enjoy!



Snickers Peanut Butter Perfection AKA Utter Butters

1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar1 cup creamy peanut butter
1cup butter, softened
2 TBSP shortening
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
extra white sugar for rolling
Peanut Butter Frosting (recipe following)
chopped Snickers bars

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2.Combine sugars, peanut butter, butter, shortening, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs. Beat just until blended.
3.Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
4.Roll into 2 inch balls, about the size of a golf ball. Roll in sugar. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork. Do not crowd. These will spread. 6-8 on a sheet is plenty.
5.Bake one baking sheet at a time for 15-18 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Do not over-bake. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.
 
Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting:
Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons milk, or as needed
2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions
1.Place the butter and peanut butter into a medium bowl, and beat with an electric mixer. Gradually mix in the sugar, and when it starts to get thick, incorporate milk one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is mixed in and the frosting is thick and spreadable. Add more milk if it appears to dry. I had to add about 3
tablespoons extra. Beat for at least 3 minutes.

After the cookies have cooled, spread the bottom of each cookie with peanut butter frosting. Sandwich 2 cookies together. Roll the edges  of the exposed frosting in Snickers Bars.


34 comments:

Diana's Cocina said...

Dear Utter Butter, I have missed you. Can you please stop by later? I would love to visit. LOL! Great job!

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Dear Girl, you are going to be the DEATH of me! (Or, at the very least, the death of my DIET!!) These look AMAZING!!

Tony said...

WOW. Snickers and cookies? I don't think you could work off the calories if you spent the entire day at the gym after eating one of those. Yum!

Angie's Recipes said...

Looking at them already make me feel plumper...but heck! Give me a few of them! I promise tomorrow I practice yoga!

Chef Aimee said...

I looked at these Utter Butters and wanted to cry...that is how beautiful they look to me and my stomach! Honestly, 30% is not a bad number and I see Northerners like us New Yorkers having a hire percentage rate then that! Too much takeout and ridiculous portion sizes!

sanjeet said...

I would love to visit
rihanna video

Jenniffer said...

OMG! Those cookies look SO sinful! I will have to make some!! Oh, and congratulations... I am your 100th follower!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

Gucci Mama said...

Those look amazing. I am definitely going to make them this week. My mouth is already watering...

Amy Prikazsky said...

Oh my, Oh my. These look so yummy! My husband will love you for telling me this recipe! he LOVES peanut butter! Thanks so much for sharing! I love your blog and am now following:)

♥peachkins♥ said...

it's a good thing I'm not a fan of snickers but hubby is...so I better hide ths recipe from him...

Michelle said...

just looking at the picture i gained 10 pounds! haha!

extreme personal measures said...

HI! Stopping by from Friday Follow to say Hello!
I want to come back and read more & am now following you.
Please stop by and say Hi!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

3 hungry tummies said...

Ok I'll have to eat them while I'm on my stationary bike! :) Looks fantastic!

Kim said...

LOVE your new site! The button, the design, everything is gorgeous! These cookies are evil! They look so incredibly delicious and decadent! Loved the letter to your treadmill;D

Sonya Ann said...

Thank you for sharing and to hell with my diet. I love it here.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I can hear my hips crying just looking at it. I want to shut them up with eating one of those.

love lives in the kitchen said...

oh wow! even if it looks extra heavy it also looks extra yummy! i would eat my computer right now!
have a sweet day,
justyna

Sophie said...

A dessert as it should be! Yum is an understatement! Not sure how long I can wait before making these :D.

Fresh Local and Best said...

My goodness! These utter butters are down right decadent!

Jennifer K said...

Yummy! I found you on Friday Follow. Come check out my blog. http://giveawaysforyou.blogspot.com/

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I'm so glad that I stopped by for a visit, Very nice blog. Thanks for visiting me and your kind words.
See you again soon.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Mary Bergfeld said...

If ever a blog was aptly named it's yours :-). The Utter Butters are other worldly.

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter must be on the brain :) These look fantastic :)

Kathleen said...

Oh my! These sound off the charts YUMMY!!!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Are you willing to Fed Ex them overnite???!!!

Chef Jeena said...

These look so heavenly YUM!

Mandy Bird said...

These sound so good! I stumbled across your blog through Calamity Anne and am so glad I did.

Bayleigh said...

Yum! Justin loves all things peanut butter... I will be trying this asap!

Anne said...

Wow, these cookies look great. Coming over for Friday Follow,
http://lunaj1456.blogspot.com

Shelley said...

The look AMAZING!!! Visiting from "Friday Follow"...I'm your newest follower! Love for you to come visit me :)

Have a great weekend!
~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

cookies and cups said...

Seriously?!? You are evil! I have gained 5 lbs reading this post...I am pretty sure that I am going to have to run to and from the supermarket buying the ingredients to work even one of these off! BUT I bet they are SOOO worth it!

Sherry G said...

I can't. I just can't make these! You don't understand; I would eat nothing but these for a week straight. Then run out and have to make more. But somehow, it seems worth it!

grace said...

merciful heavens. what decadence! i'm well aware that the southeast portion of our country boasts the highest proportion of obese people, and while that's unfortunate, MAN, do we eat good. :)

Snooky doodle said...

these look mouthwatering!