Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sweets for Your Sweetie...Chocolate Truffles

So, Valentine's Day is quickly approaching....do you have something sweet for your sweetheart?? No?!? Well, don't fret. You've still got a few days. Did you know that you can make your own truffles very inexpensively. Yes, its true....and even better, they're incredibly easy! You could make them for everyone you know (teachers, neighbors, co-workers, husbands/wives/girlfriends/boyfriends, or all of the aforementioned:) Everyone will think you are so incredibly advanced and talented in the kitchen. But you really do not need the skills of Jacques Torres to make truffles (though I could have used some of his skills on my other chocolate project :)

 I actually made these truffles on accident. I was trying to make a hand-poured chocolate gift in a stoneware mold yesterday. I was having incessant chocolate issues. I'm not sure if it was the weather or some other strange phenomenon, but the chocolate gods were not on my side. On one particular attempt, when I discovered the chocolate wasn't going to set (even after chilling), I realized I had just added too much butter and cream and had all the ingredients for truffles in the batch of chocolate. Plus it was the right consistency. So, instead of throwing the failed attempt away I just rolled it into balls and then rolled them in some sprinkles and cocoa powder. Now, anyone I gifted these to would never know that little story. They would only see a tasty box of truffles. As you can see.... no culinary genius here. Just a mishap-maker most of time:) Enjoy!

Chocolate Truffles

1/3 cup heavy cream

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, preferably Ghirardelli
Cocoa or sprinkles for rolling

1. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the chocolate chips. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and pour into a shallow bowl.

2.Cool, cover, and refrigerate the mixture until firm (2-3 hours).
3. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.* Roll each ball in the cocoa or sprinkles (or any topping: nuts, toasted coconut, etc..). Store in refrigerator until ready to indulge.
*After rolling truffles, you could also dip in chocolate and then roll in toppings.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes dear you labeled me right, confused and crabby. I couldn't even get my comments posted on the right day! I was looking to post a comment on the Mother Maxine's Sinful Southern Apple Cake. Forgive the senior in me. That was my first post to a blog. I am sure these "SINFUL SOUTHERN SWEETS" are to die for too......aren't most sinful things?

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Is it already starting out as one of those days Mother Maxine? :) LOL!

Diana's Cocina said...

Heavy whipping cream and chocolate make everything better. =) They look yummy.

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOO PRETTY!

Lucie said...

Nice illustration of when wrong makes another right in the kitchen! My mom used to make chocolate truffles with me when I was little, such a treat!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I love chocolate truffles. Welcome to the Friday Follow. I'm your newest follower. So glad to have you with us. I'm way behind but here I am.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Kathleen said...

Yay! These sound and look delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow They are the best for the V-day!

CinnamonAndSass said...

Mmmm *love* truffles! How can I get my guy to make these for V-day haha!

ARUNA said...

My goodness, they r so damn tempting!!!!

Chef Aimee said...

I love their look - especially since they taste as good as they look! :)

Counting Coconuts said...

Oh these look SO yummy!!

Velva said...

Chocolate truffles are such a romantic addition to Valentine's Day. Served up with a good bottle of sparkling wine and it is perfect. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

Diane Schmidt said...

Oh..I want to reach out and grab one :)

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

These are so pretty :) Sure to make any sweetie melt!

Cooking the stress away must be a great thing for someone who's real good at it, like you. For me, if I start cooking and it doesn't turn out to be like what I expcted it to be like... I get stressed out! lol

grace said...

talk about your happy accidents! truffles are usually such a hassle to make but sometimes it's worth every hair-pulling moment. these look great!

Cakeblast said...

Yum! I've never made truffles but now I want to try - thanks for following my blog btw - I'm following you back.

Kim said...

I absolutely adore truffles. They are silky, smooth and addictive!