Thursday, February 25, 2010

Honey Bun Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze


I've made an executive decision....no more baking on Friday night. Why? Well, when I bake on Friday, there is nowhere for me to send my baked goods. No friends or offices around to share with. And those baked goods reside at my house until Monday. Which, unfortunately, they never survive to see the light of day on Monday. I have been running my tail off on the treadmill this week trying to do damage control from the recipe I'm sharing today, that I also happened to make last Friday night. But, oh...let me tell you....it was worth it. So worth it! I mean like, I-could-barely-get-out-of- bed-from- aching-from-that-stupid-treadmill worth it. And let me just tell you my philosophy on running: You should only run if something's after you. So you can tell, it was really worth it :) Hmm. its only Thursday. I could make another one this morning and it technically it would still be legal. Right?!? :) 

This cake is an altered version of many Honey Bun Cakes I have seen on various blogs. It tastes just like a honey bun, obviously by its name. The cake is very moist and dense. With a ribbon of cinnamon, sugar and pecans running through the interior, its definately hard to forgo. And the cinnamon cream cheese glaze, well, it can be eaten with a spoon all by itself.  You certainly could serve this as a dessert disguised as breakfast or just eat it for every meal of the day until its gone. Going to talk to my friend, the treadmill, before I bake another cake. Enjoy!


















Honey Bun Cake
1 box Supermoist yellow cake mix(or any kind with added pudding)
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. half and half
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
Filling
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped pecans
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze:
4 oz cream cheese
6 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon butter
8 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
 1 t. vanilla
Cream together cream cheese and eggs. Add oil, half/half and cake mix. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Grease and Flour 13x9 inch pan. Spread batter into pan.
Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Sprinkle over cake batter. Drizzle honey over dry ingredients. Pull a knife through batter to swirl filling. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick. Do not try to touch the top of the cake to see if it springs back. Hot honey burns like boiling sugar J

For the glaze: Cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the milk slowly. Add remaining ingredients. Pour over warm cake.

34 comments:

Fork1 said...

wow, this looks soo delicious. I cant wait to make it! I laughed at loud at your explanation of Friday baking. How many times have I said the same thing to my husband!!!

This one is definitely going in my basket for brunch recipes.

3 hungry tummies said...

Now that is truly sinful, I'll be spending another 30 minutes on the stationary bike!

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Girl, you are going to be the DEATH of me!! (But thanks, this looks AMAZING!! Tee hee!)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm lovin' that glaze..

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely divine! Why is it that I did not get to try this scrumptious looking sweet treat? Ha! Ha! It serves you right. I wondered what the rush to get to the gym was. I also wondered why it was so necessary to crank up the treadmill. Whew! For sure your sins will find you out!!

Anonymous said...

HAHA Nothing like a slice of cake to spur u to run that extra half a mile! :) I say, we have balance right here!

Anne said...

Oh dear lawd awmighty...but that looks so yummy!!! You're right...it can be eaten for every meal!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I'm drooling! Something tells me this blog is dangerous! ;)

Lucie said...

Looks amazing!

Brad said...

Yum I think these would be wort the treadmill (I usually have to work off the bacon on the treadmill...)

Half Assed Kitchen said...

This looks amaaaaaazing.

Diana's Cocina said...

My son would love this cake. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

That looks so yummy! I think I might make it next week!

Stopping by from Friday Follow. I'm your newest follower. Check me out when you get a chance.
http://mommys-freetime.blogspot.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. I've bookmarked this and will make it very soon. I stopped by just to say hello and ended up staying much longer than I planned. You have a lovely blog and I'll be back soon. Have a great day...Mary

Cas said...

It was fate I found you through Follow ME Friday. Last night I was seriously just thinking if I could find a good recipe for a honey bun cake!! Stop by and check my site out when you get a chance!

Your newest follower
Cas
http://justasteelmagnoliaingeorgia.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Happy Follow Friday!
I'm now following your blog
http://thebkeepsushonest.blogspot.com/

Jules AF said...

Following you back! And DROOLING.

Diane Schmidt said...

looks good!I agree running should only occur when being chased, wonder if my fitness trainer will like that one :)

Sarah said...

Hi, found your great blog through Fri Follow. I'm now following!

http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

That is definitely a recipe I have to make! Following back from FF! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Jim-49 said
This looks so good!! I made one sorta like this,and it went great the first day,but day 2 after sitting over night,it was "SUPER"!! Yours has some different things in it,like the Honey(which I use a lot,fresh and local),and the cream cheese glaze.Love the site,and appreciate all your work!!

Chef Aimee said...

I am definitely taking this recipe and storing it in my "to make" box! I like to bake, but I do not love to bake, so this foundation of yellow cake mix is right up my alley! This blog is as sweet as any honey bun!

Barbara said...

I know just how you feel. If there are not a lot of mouths to feed around the house, I give things away. The neighbors are happy though!
Today, I wish I was your neighbor because these honeybuns are right up my alley. But only one, please!

Jocelyn said...

That looks sooo yummy! Found you through friday follow...can't wait to read through your recipes...I love to bake:-)

Nicole Bouchard Boles said...

Coming by from Follow Friday. I'm now a follower and I wil come back & read often! Yum!

Please check out my blog and
http://www.frugalphilanthropist.blogspot.com
Best,
Nicole

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks so so delicious.

grace said...

i've seen this calorie-demon around, and i REALLY like your alterations to it. that glaze needs to be poured directly down my gullet. :)

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Your cake looks great! Thank goodness for treadmills, and cake. Good idea about baking on an evening when you can cart the treats off to work the next day :)

bonnie said...

this looks so yummy!! love it!!

sweetlife

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Heavenly!

sanjeet said...

This one is definitely going in my basket for brunch recipes.
rihanna video

Anonymous said...

Just read the post on Calamity Anne. You guys are making me drool.

Anne said...

One word...YUM!!!

Nette said...

Ladybug said: Love this honey bun recipe...I'm getting ready to make it for my niece to take to work. Thanks. I usually make a sock it to me cake, but I'm going to be making this one from now on.