Wednesday, February 3, 2010

S'mores Bars

Princess Runwild was very excited yesterday when she discovered that I was pulling the ingredients out of the pantry for s'mores. Especially since it was not even 8 am. Little did she know that I was not just making s'mores, but S'mores Bars! Its kind of like a chocolate chip bar cookie twisted with the ingredients for s'mores. Now, I will admit, I like a good 'ole s'mores from time to time. Well, except for one instance. I did not like them the time I decided to roast my marshmallow over the fireplace which was burning hickory wood. Just a note....hickory tastes like hickory whether its on meat or marshmallows. So...you can see the issue there. But any other method I like. I won't say I flock to them, but I like them.

These bars on the other hand....well, there was just something a touch too addictive about them. Last night I was wondering why I was so hungry before dinner time. Thinking back through my day, the only thing I had consumed all day was s'mores bars. Oh..I didn't starve myself. Fear not! I ate large quantities of s'mores bars. There was no lack of calories, just a lack of protein for satiety. No, smores bars for me today. Well, maybe just one :) Or two...Enjoy!

S'mores Bars

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2  cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Topping:
6 planks of graham crackers (6 long rectangles), coarsley crumbled
4 TBSP butter, melted
1 chocolate candy bar (dark or milk chocolate), coarsley chopped
1/2 cup mini marshmallows

Directions
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in marshmallows and chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Combine crumbled graham crackers with melted butter. Sprinkle on top of cookie dough. Sprinkle on remaining topping ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.  Note: These do not require refrigeration, but they are easier to cut if chilled.

31 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

Its mouthwatering!

Lucie said...

You seem to be giving us all the recipes I've been craving for a looong time, and s'mores bars are one of them! Could butter be substituted in place of the shortening? These look amazing!!!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Thanks!!
Lucie, I'm glad you mentioned that about the shortening. When I typed it this morning, I just typed off the original recipe not thinking anything about it, but I didnt use the shorteneing. I used butter. Isn't everything better with butter :) I have now changed that on the recipe. Thanks so much!!

Chef Aimee said...

This makes me miss summer so much - and makes me happy knowing its coming soon! What a great recipe, though, for any time of year. I would make these around Christmas as well.

Tony said...

AH I LOVE SMORES. I will be making these. Thanks for the recipe :D.

Unknown said...

These look so good,I'm the kind of girl that feels like smore making should be done once a year like pumpkin carving its a tradition but not my favorite but I do love smore themed cookiess and bars!

Nina said...

Yummyyyyy....looks great:)

Kim said...

I adore smores and must have these!! I would start making them right now if I had the ingredients. These look insanely delicious and I will try them soon:D Thanks for the recipe!

Snooky doodle said...

these look decadent and who doesn t like smores :) Nice blog!

Missy said...

Oh my! We love smores around here...I think I'll be making these this weekend for sure!!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow no wonder she was excited

Amy said...

Smores are definitely something I get excited about! These look fantastic!

Maris said...

Yum! When I clicked on your blog title I wasn't expecting anything THIS sinful!

Barbara Bakes said...

I would love to have one, or two, or three of these too!

Reeni said...

What scrumptious treats! I wouldn't be able to resist munching on them continuously!

Velva said...

You were being kind when you said a "touch addicting"...they are absolutely addicting. Your bars are delightful. Thanks for sharing.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Oh, they loos so delicious and sinful.

Thanks for stopping by.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

I've never heard of s'mores before, but I like that it includes chocolate :)

Karine said...

Your bars sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

grace said...

i like traditional s'mores, but i'll be darned if they're not the messiest treat ever. this is much more preferable, and just think of all my clothes that'll now be stain-free!

mycupcake said...

looks good. I have never tried s'mores. they are not normal in Norway.

The Old White Barn said...

These will be so good for my smore lovin' daughter! Stopped by from Friday Follow!
Susan

Maryann said...

Yum-- I will have to try those!
Coming by from Friday Follow!

Come by mine and enter some giveaways! =)
http://www.tictacdough.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Maryann

Carey said...

I am a HUGE smores fan! Will definitely be giving these a try! Just subscribed to your posts so that I can get more good recipes!
Happy Follow Friday!

Jen said...

Stopping in from Friday Follow. I am following you on Twitter. I blog at http://bzzagentreviews.blogspot.com/
Have a fun-filled weekend!

Charlene Juliani said...

Friday Following you :) Those bars look delicious!

Sofa King said...

Happy Friday Follow! I'm your newest follower! I look forward to coming back! I hope you like my blog too. Thank you in advance for visiting.

Trissa said...

Smores before 8am always sounds like a good idea! It's so easy to overdose on these bars - especially if they look as good as yours!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Love your blog and I am lovin me some smores! Oh so good and it reminds me of when I was little. I LOVE to cook as well but I am more of a appetizer and main dish girl- would love for you to check me out! We can be cooking buddies!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Oh my goodness, I found you on a blog that I follow (Deep Dish South) and am adding you to my faves and follows right after I finish this note to you! I live in the Carolina's and love all of our great recipes! Thanks for sharing and for your great blog! Roz (aka bella)

Hilary said...

I have seen a various recipes for s'mores cakes and bars, and yours sounds divine!

And I've been there with the eating nothing but baked sweets condition!