Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chocolate Nemesis


Nemesis:nem·e·sis [ némməssiss ] (plural nem·e·ses [ némmə sz ]) noun
Definition:
1. unbeatable opponent: a bitter enemy, especially one who seems unbeatable
2. source of harm: a source of harm or ruin
3)deserved punishment: punishment that is deserved, especially when it results in somebody's downfall

I'm speachless.....I'm almost embarrassed to try to describe this bliss. Its dark... its sultry...and  its truly sinful. This would certainly be a dessert to make for Valentine's Day. It should be shared....devoured. Chocolate Nemesis is certainly like nothing I have ever had before. It is flourless...so therefore, I'm calling it low carb :) LOL! Not hardly! It is like taking the inside of the richest truffle and slicing it up in cake form. I'm not one of those people that likes to use the term "too rich." But, I must say I had to bite my tongue on this one. The words almost passed my lips. Almost..

The first time I ever had this rich dessert was at Thanksgiving. My sister in law brought it. I like to give her a hard time, because she always brings Deviled Eggs (very good deviled eggs) to family functions.Then a few times a year, she will knock us all down with something like Chocolate Nemesis. She's a great cook, and she quickly reminds us of it when she pulls something like this on us.

Start your New Year off with Chocolate Nemesis. This is certainly my Nemesis...unbeatable opponent...bitter enemy. Yes, that will sum it up on Monday when my pants don't fit anymore. Enjoy!

Chocolate Nemesis
Adapted from Great Women Chefs of Europe
Recipe by Rose Gray & Ruth Rogers

Ingredients:
12 ounces dark baking chocolate, broken into small pieces(I used 4-Lindt 85% Cocoa Bars- found on the candy isle-not baking isle)
5 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar-(I just used regular, granular sugar, with great success)
2 sticks softened  butter-(no substitutes)
1 cup water
Extra butter for greasing pan, flour for sprinkling pan
Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line an 8-inch diameter shallow cake pan 2 inches deep with nonstick baking paper (parchment paper), then grease it with butter and sprinkle with flour. Beat the eggs with one third of the sugar until the mixture quadruples in volume (this operation will require beating for around 10 minutes with an electric beater). Heat the rest of the sugar in a saucepan with 1 cup water until the sugar dissolves into a syrup. Add the chocolate pieces and the butter. Mix well. When smooth, remove from the heat and leave to cool. Pour the mixture over the eggs while it is still slightly warm and continue to beat gently until it is smooth (no more than 20 seconds). Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and place the pan in a roasting pan of hot water. The water must come right up to the top of the mold, so that the cooking is uniform.


Bake it for 30 minutes in the oven until it has set. Check for doneness by gently placing the palm of your hand on the surface. If it is not set, continue cooking. Cool the cake in the pan before turning upside down to unmold onto a cake plate.

*I had to bake my Chocolate Nemesis for about 50 minutes. I would use a 8-9 inch springform pan to make unmolding easier.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

ooohh adding it to my bookmark list:)

toeandhaysmom said...

your are so funny. you should write a book!!! i know, I will dictate you write it. It can be the story of P & W then W&S. You know there's a lot there to write about. We could, well, we have to change the names. But think about that!!!
T

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Sonya, you will not be sorry you made this! Well, until you've gained that extra 10 lbs. Then you might be sorry :)

T, I don't think anyone would believe our tales from P&W and W&S. Some of them, I still can't believe!

Happy New Year!!