Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Recent Birthday Cake


From time to time, I like to pretend that I am Duff Goldman. You know who Duff Goldman is, right? If not, he's the guy they call "The Ace of Cakes" on Food Network. I joke about that, because I want to be the Ace of Cakes, but I lack a bit in the artistic department. And it is not from lack of desiring to be artistic. Well, that and I am a self taught cake decorator. No formal training. You know how I taught myself? I watched Youtube. I am nearly certain that you can learn to do almost anything on Youtube.

Anyways, my friend, Teri, (who gives me far more credit than is due) has enough faith in me to let me play around with my cakes for her kids' family birthday parties. She is not a fan of fondant, but she did not raise a fuss when I told her that's what I was doing on the entire surface of the cake. Though I do believe I may have heard her whince a little in the background on the phone. But, I promised to slather the cake with frosting underneath the fondant. I just can't figure out what the problem is with fondant. Its just sugar, but everyone treats its like its parsley and pushes it to the side. I have come to accept that it is to be used purely as decoration

Back to the cake, I decided to try a real cool and funky cake since the little girl was turning 10. Like I really know what a 10 year thinks is cool! Well, I took a guess and she seemed to be pleased. If I was a 10 year old girl I would have thought it was cool. Well, especially if I was a 10 year old girl in the 60's! I went retro with this cake. There was mod flowers (even zebra print flowers) and polka dots. But the best part, the actual cake part had a tie dyed effect. I got that idea here.Overall, I was pleased with the cake, and I had fun with it.
Here's the pics:

2 comments:

toeandhaysmom said...

Cake was delish!!! and was a great party treat. The entire family was shocked by the cake part and all were asking "how'd she do that?" My reply was --- I have no idea, she's just good! Thanks again for the cake. (Can't believe i made the Blog!!) -T

Sonya said...

Wow thats the coolest looking cake ever!! Im so bad at decorating. I try really hard but Im pretty sure my youngest son could out do me anytime.