Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thumbprint Cookies



Whew! Can you believe it is already Dec. 22nd? I thought I had it all together due to the fact that I did all my Christmas shopping in July. Unfortunately, I become too relaxed in the holiday season and now I'm behind! Lots to do! Plus I have to get a birthday cake together today for my brother and his oldest little boy. Can you believe they share the same day for their birthday? My family cannot seem to space their birthdays out. My brother's birthday is today, my mom's is Jan 5th, mine is Jan 6th and my dad's was Jan 10th. We just have birthday, after birthday, after birthday. So it was rather comical when my nephew was born on the same day as my brother's birthday. I, of course, had to be the odd ball when having my children. They are both June babies. But...I did keep them close in date. They are exactly 3 years and 3 days apart. My point about all that was that I had lots to get done today so I was going to keep my post short and not ramble as I just did :)
Todays recipe is probably one of my favorite Christmas cookies. I make this every year. My only complaint is that the recipe never makes enough. I always end up gifting them all away and I never have any left. These can be made with any kind of jelly/preserves. I usually make mine with apricot preserves. I do recommend to make sure that you use seedless raspberry, if you must have raspberry. Chalk that one up to a lesson learned! Enjoy!

Thumbprint Cookies
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1/2 c sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c flour

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Cream together:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar

Add:

1 Egg yolk
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
Blend in:

1 1/2 cups flour

Form into small balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Indent balls with finger or the back of a measuring spoon. Fill with jelly (strawberry or raspberry are good, but any kind will work).

Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. Do not brown.

1 comments:

Sonya said...

Wow that is alot of birthdays! I thought it was bad that my birthday,anniversary and husbands birthday all fall in December!

I love thumbrint cookies and these look so delightful. Im afraid I am behind aswell and probably wont catch up!